Gt3 Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 11:14 PM
armand993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Gt3 Seats

hey guys anyone with gt3 seats, can you tell me ifyou can slide seat all the way up and can kids still get in back, i still drive my kids to school once and awhile but would really like these seats thanks . armand
Old 08-15-2003, 11:17 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Armand,

Between the rollbars and the seats, that is why Porsche has the trunk area..... After all it is Boston. Pretty much get away with anything there...
Old 08-15-2003, 11:33 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Armand,

I seriously doubt it - I have to slide the seat all the way forward to squeek a briefcase by!

I think someone (brey-krause maybe?) makes a special tilting mechanism for racing shells that let's you tilt the seat forward for access to the back - that might work....

ben
Old 08-16-2003, 07:26 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Armand - Your kids would have to be small and VERY thin to sqeeze in behind the seats when they are all the way forward. My car is a cab and the only way kids can get into the back is when the top is down.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:43 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

small and thin chicks count?
Old 08-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default No worries, mon

Armand,

If your children are still young, I think they would be able to get into the rear without too much trouble. Check out the pic below with the seat slid all the way forward. My wife, who is 5'4" and 112 lb, is able to squeeze back there to help me with detailing the car - with a rollbar in the way.

Last edited by Anir; 08-16-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: No worries, mon

Originally posted by Anir
If your children are still young, I think they would be able to get into the rear without too much trouble. Check out the pic below with the seat slid all the way forward. My wife, who is 5'4" and 112 lb, is able to squeeze back there to help me with detailing the car - with a rollbar in the way.
Gee, I never thought about that!

My wife is pretty much the same size so I should ask her to hel (I got stich in there when I tried to clean the rear window!)

Anir it right, if you kids are small (and you don't have extinguisher to block sliding the seat all the way forward), it's doable.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Anir,

I'm not with the car but I don't think I have nearly that kind of travel! My seat takes a good bit of force to move, however. Like the rails are slightly out of alignment. Maybe I'm not getting all the way forward but I have a hard time moving them unless I'm in the seat. If I slid them as far forward as you show I couldn't get out!

Doesn't matter anyway - I already have a set of Rod's subs in the rear footwells - You'll love 'em.

And don't go cheap on the main speakers - I had some MB Quarts that I thought were pretty good so I kept them - they are now the weak point in the setup. I'd go with Rod's Focals....

Ben
Old 08-16-2003, 08:14 PM
tchanson
Racer

Default Not much of a view from back there, though...

Armand,

I'd also agree with Anir's comments above. Granted, my kids are still small enough that they can actually fit in the back seats, regardless of ease of ingress/egress. My seats slide forward roughly the same amount as shown in Anir's photo.

The supplied sliders on the 993 versions of the GT3's are a good 2 1/2 inches or so longer than the sliders on the factory power seats. I can slide the bases of the GT3's quite a bit farther forward than I could the power seats.

On balance, while the space at the top is a little more constricted, access to the back isn't all that much less with the GT3's, IMO.

As an alternative, as Ben noted above, Sparco makes a tilt adapter for fixed back/shell seats that fits between the sliders and the seat base. I would imagine that you give up some overall headroom when inserting this additional bracket, and that given the height of the GT3 seat relative to the headliner, that it probably wouldn't tilt a lot in any case. I've never seen this bracket used with the GT3's, but I'd guess it would work and give a marginal increase in the amount of access up top.

Good luck,
Tim

Old 08-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ben,

Did you get the 993-specific sliders with your GT3 seats? If so, might you have mounted them a peg or two back from where they could sit?

I'm glad to hear that you like your audio upgrades. Rod will be visiting at the beginning of October, and I can't wait! I've got the McIntosh MX-406 head unit sitting in the closet, and he's going to hook it up to Focal 165 KP 2-way speakers in the doors, Focal Polyglass speakers in the rear shelf, and two of his Image Dynamic 8" subs in the rear footwells.

Not sure on the amp yet - maybe an ARC 5150 or something by Audison. I'd like to keep the amp under the passenger seat, to maintain the max space in the front trunk. This does preclude some of the larger amps.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Anir,

I got the setup from Gert w/993 specific slides. Do your seats move easily? I can't move mine at all unless I'm seated... I have to pull the lever and rock pretty hard with the posterior to make them move.

Ben
Old 08-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ben,

Mine move very easily even when unloaded. I suspect that you have one rail a peg more forward than the other. This would make the whole set-up just slightly twisted.

I did this the first time around on one of the seats, and had to readjust one of the sliders relative to the other.

If I remember correctly, the two rails are of unequal length, which makes it difficult to gauge when they are perfectly lined up.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:33 PM
armand993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink

hi guys thanks for all the replies i have ben on vacation for a week and a half. .. ive done a few de and auto x and i want to install seats and harness
bar , but still want to be able to use it on the street with kids .. i think i will go with recaro srd seats they recline thanks again armand

Quick Reply: Gt3 Seats