993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 exhaust - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014 | 10:51 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

I mostly agree with the statements on mufflers not doing anything for performance gains, however sport cats or cat bypass can bump you a couple HPs. Some would say that replacing an old cat with a new OEM cat might do the same thing, but replacing an old cat with a sport cat or cat bypass will at minimum knock a few pounds off the rear as well as a lot of heat.

I've got the FD 200 Cell Sport Cat with Motorsound mufflers - I think it sounds just like the Stage II's with OEM Cat, so that's an option for you too.
Old 09-28-2014 | 01:48 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Van1
Back before the Fister's were en vogue , Robin Sun's RSRs were all the rage on the Rennlist 993 forum and the reason I sought them out. I've had mine for several years now and have been very happy with them. They are lighter than Fister stage IIIs by Fisters own figures. Of course, they have fallen out of favor and are hard to find now anyway. Most current R'listers don't know much about them. Probably best to go with the Fister's as they are now the favored setup.
RSR's get my vote as well. Not sure about volume comparison between RSR's and Darin's, but the RSR's have a lower, less metallic note that I prefer.

Some say the RSR's drone around 2800RPM. Even someone who used to own my actual RSR's has said here that they drone. (Mine were originally Robin's own mufflers, and then they passed through two other Rennlisters before I got them.) I find they are louder in 2800RPM range, but I don't consider it droning at all. In fact I like driving in that range because it is louder. I would never have something on my car that droned, couldn't deal with that.

Gert still sells the RSR's.

And OP If you haven't already drilled your airbox (or have the Motorsound version,) I recommend that as well. Makes a big difference in-car.
Old 09-28-2014 | 01:59 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

you make a great point, mongrelcat, 'bout the airbox. it does sound great with it. my targa has the factory motor sound and really like the sound it makes, just wish it was a bit more.

i'd really like to find someone local in the los angeles area to hear an RSR and also a Fister Stage II for my own ears to hear. i understand a few folks have their videos on youtube, but an in person view is so much better and real.

any referrals anyone? i'm willing to drive to you wherever you might be with a couple hours drive - would be fun to open up my 993 on the trip there.
Old 09-28-2014 | 02:13 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Another vote for the original RSR mufflers if you can find them locally or order from Gert at Carnewal
http://www.carnewal.com/products/P93...3/RSR-Mufflers

Last edited by FlatSix911; 09-28-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2014 | 02:20 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by espanolie
i'd really like to find someone local in the los angeles area to hear an RSR and also a Fister Stage II for my own ears to hear. i understand a few folks have their videos on youtube, but an in person view is so much better and real.

any referrals anyone? i'm willing to drive to you wherever you might be with a couple hours drive - would be fun to open up my 993 on the trip there.
Good call, it's a very subjective choice. I used to live in Pasadena but I'm 1,000 miles North now.

I racked my brain to think if I knew of someone there with RSR's. I thought maybe cfgen had them, but nothing is coming up with a search. Someone down there has them for sure, they'll probably reply soon.
Old 09-28-2014 | 03:35 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Suggest you search the forum for LPMM. Did this and have never had so many compliments about any other aspect of my car....

$100 to weld in the bypass at my local custom exhaust shop. Best $100 upgrade ever.

Old 09-28-2014 | 04:07 AM
shiraz
Racer

Greetings from the other side other world, have a RoW '95 with M150 ( dirty fuel allowed, use unleaded 98), no cats/or any of the other problem causing crap most of you need, factory m.sound air box & cargraphic exhaust with wide ovals. Happy with both induction roar & exhaust sound.
Also have single mass flywheel, Wong chip & strut-bar, RS ride height (HD / H&R) . Have recently added HID kit from a very friendly gentleman in Norway ( Cheers, Tore!)
Old 09-28-2014 | 06:56 AM
p993c4
Advanced

FVD would surely be a great option: http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...0/Muffler.html
I have thought about the sport TUV mufflers.

Last edited by p993c4; 09-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2014 | 03:07 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

I had RSRs in the pre-Fister days, and really liked them. I'm about to make the same upgrade on a '95 I recently picked up and didn't know that the RSRs were not available anymore. I'd like to hear Fister II before I get them. Anyone local have them? I may just RSR the stock ones that I have.
Old 09-28-2014 | 06:21 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

a lot a great insight here - thanks again everyone!

after reading and researching, it seems fister stage II or RSR seem to be best options for me. LPMM may be too subtle while stage III may be too much.

gonna try and talk to Darin or Mark regarding the stage II and also Robin Sun regarding the RSR this week. i'll post later sharing my experience and hopefully a final decision.
Old 09-28-2014 | 11:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I have the RSR's, but they don't take sound up much. Wish they were a bit more. I'm going to get off my butt and order Fister II's at some point.
Old 09-29-2014 | 12:23 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Love the sound of my Fabspeed.
Old 09-29-2014 | 02:06 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by espanolie
first i say thank you very much for the feedback. i'm a rookie when it comes to modifying cars so i appreciate the honesty and detail.

my targa has the factory upgraded motor sound, which i like, but just wish it was just a little bit more. my c4s has the bone stock exhaust and needs some help. i was getting settled with buying a used motor sound package from la dismantler for $750 and having it installed locally. i was told of rsr and fabspeed and quickly lost interest in the factory motor sound.

i get the impression the rsr is just a tad more than the factory motor sound option, which is why it appealed to me. i've heard some fabspeed and seems too loud for me. i don't know much 'bout fister and will begin to research it.

i get the impression fister stage II might be worth looking into. since i'm pretty happy with the 993 performance overall as a package, i won't complain for little to no power gain. can someone give me an idea of costs with the fister stage II?

martin, thank you sooo much for the invitation. i am saving the date now with plans on going to willow springs. i'll bug you a few days before to confirm and possibly exchange cell numbers via private email.

i didn't hear anyone mention borla - i take it that's not an option or not worth pursuing.

Don't waste your $750 for the recycler supplied motor sound package. That package includes two items. The first is the the motor sound air box, which is the stock air filter cover with about 100 holes drilled through the cover. This increases the induction sound that you hear. If you take off your stock air filter cover, you will see the hole pattern molded into the cover. Take about an hour with a power drill and carefully drill out every one of the molded dimples. I don't recall the size of the drill bit to use, but think it is about 1/4" (should be the diameter of the molded dimples in the cover). With the holes added to your filter cover, you now have a motor sound package induction system.

There is also some slight difference to the mufflers that differentiates them from stock 993 mufflers; but, if you get the Fister Stage II's the change will make much more difference than the original motor sound package.

And, if the Stage II's are not loud enough for you, you can easily sell them or ask Darrin at FP to take them on trade for a set of Stage III's. Either way, your cost for motor sound and Fister's will be way less than the $750 you were getting ready to fork out for the motor sound package.
Old 09-29-2014 | 02:40 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

great ideas, earossi - thanks.

i like the idea of a diy motor sound airbox. even i can drill holes into a plastic box and reinstall it.

i'm gonna call darin at fd this week and pick his brain. i agree in that i'm fairly confident i won't be spending more than $750 installed while i'd only be getting the factory upgraded motor sound.
Old 09-29-2014 | 02:56 AM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

I wish I could go back in time to experience the unadulterated joy of hearing my Fister IIs for the first time. God bless FD Motorsports.

Quick Reply: 993 exhaust - suggestions?