Sponsored by:

OT: Anybody do their own PDR

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002 | 08:47 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Post OT: Anybody do their own PDR

I found these tools while surfing the web:

<a href="http://www.ontool.com/store/category/1045?page=2" target="_blank">OnTool PDR tools</a>

Might be something interesting to try...

Maybe not so much for the p-car, but I think that it would be especially helpful the daily drivers.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2002 | 10:26 PM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

There is a guy I met 6 years ago who was an expert at dent removal, without breaking the paint. He caught the eye of management at Ford, and his schedule was full for a year or so worth of training at various Ford plants on his techniques. It was absolutely fascinating what he could do, and most of his tools were custom made. He had a painted door on a table, and during training would put dents into it with various hammers, then work them back out. He didn't crush the panel or anything, just small to medium sized dents. He used existing holes in the panels to get to the dents from behind. It took him about 30 seconds, and you couldn't find the spot where the dent was. He let me try it, and all I did was make a small dent look terrible. It is TRULY an art form. I would NEVER try doing this on my car, but would love to learn how on something that was expendible. Kind of the same way I learned how to detail - on beater cars that didn't deserve to be babied, but also didn't mind if I screwed something up. By the time I got my 911, I was ready!

My wife's A4 was hit in a Home Depot parking lot by one of their lumber carts. We were parked under the contractor's awning near closing time. An employee wasn't paying enough attention, and one got loose and put a nice dent the size of a 1/2 dollar just in front of the tail light. The manager told us to get 3 quotes, and they would pay the average. My wife got 2 quotes, one was a repaint for $250, the other was less than $150, and they said they wouldn't break the paint. We showed Home Depot both quotes, they just gave us $250. They were very pleasant to deal with, didn't fuss a bit, and said it happens quite often. We took the car to the dentless place. To this day, even when waxing the car, I have never come across the place it was hit.
Old 08-30-2002 | 07:51 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

What shall we call these miracle workers! "Dentists"
Old 08-30-2002 | 09:57 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a Porsche video tape that contains a quick tour through the Zuffenhausen plant. At one point along the way, after the bodies are painted, they came across an ederly gentlemen that was "removing dents". His process was to cold work the dent fron the OUTSIDE using a small plastic stick, shaped like a carpenter's pencil, and a small hammer. He demonstrated his work, and when asked hopw long he had been doing this, he answer, "35 years". I've later learned thru a paintless dent removal "artiste" that this method was origianlly devloped at Mercedes Benz. It requires much more skill and experience than the procedure of cold working the dent from the back side. Having seen both procedures I have to admit that it is as much art as science. You would be amazed at the size of dents thand dings that can be removed and the speed at which it can be done.
I live not far from an auto plant. Following a hail storm, a good paintless dent removal team can make a very tidy sum applying their talent.
Old 08-30-2002 | 10:06 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Paintless dent removal for a "Non-professional" is best performed with the glue pulling method.

It is a much more "fesible" method of removing dent if your are not experienced with the traditional "push from behind" dent removal method.

<a href="http://www.nodents.com/pullers.html" target="_blank">Dent puller</a>
Old 08-30-2002 | 09:00 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Talking

All I can say is that these paintless dent removal places are fantastic. Have used "Dent Wizard" shop about 3 times on my 993, each time can't see the original dent once they get done.

I would leave this work to the pros.
Old 08-30-2002 | 11:10 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

[quote]Originally posted by Bins:
<strong>What shall we call these miracle workers! "Dentists" </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Actually fixing teeth is much easier than body work. I'm with Ray, I'll leave it to the pro's. I'm sure they wouldn't work on their own teeth.

Quick Reply: OT: Anybody do their own PDR