Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

different rear bumperette mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:15 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Default different rear bumperette mounts?

In starting to install the Willwood bike rack on my Targa, I've hit a blocker. The rear bumperette mounts on my car are different than what Willwood expected, and not compatible with the mounts.

I've found two other pictures of these mounts. One online and one in the Bentley book.

1) My car (Targa) has the incompatible mount with diagonal support (see image #1)
2) The car in the Bentley book (Cab) has the incompatible mount with diagonal support (not shown, copyright and all)
3) An image I found online (NB Coupe) has compatible mounts without the diagonal (see image #2)

Theory: All cabs/targas have these goofy bumperette mounts.

Does anyone know?

I unfortunately will likely sell this very well made and pristine rack, but want to have the info so another rennlister doesn't go through this.
Attached Images   
Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about the two versions. Is your Willwood incompatible because you have to put a bolt through that mount? I'm wondering if you could use a wedge on the backside of the diagonal to straighten things up, if that were the case.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:28 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
I'm not sure about the two versions. Is your Willwood incompatible because you have to put a bolt through that mount? I'm wondering if you could use a wedge on the backside of the diagonal to straighten things up, if that were the case.
The mount has to fit behind the bumperette support bracket. There is now way for it to fit with that diagonal metal piece in the way.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:27 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
The mount has to fit behind the bumperette support bracket. There is now way for it to fit with that diagonal metal piece in the way.
Maybe you don't want to go there, but a good machine shop could modify your bike rack to fit the mounts you have.

Quick Reply: different rear bumperette mounts?