Sponsored by:

Short shift kit questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 10:02 PM
dcpmark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Short shift kit questions.....

I'm thinking about adding this mod for my '97, and I know nothing about them. Are all short-shift kits created equal? Any downsides to a short-shift kit ( i.e., tougher to find gears)? Any limitations to which **** you can add (I'm going to add Gert's MY '02 aluminum shifter ****/handbrake set)?

Thanks in advance.......
Old 02-08-2002, 10:19 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is only one 993 short shift kit that I know of and that's the RS linkage. There are some copies out there too.

<a href="http://www.schatzmotorsport.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=78650&Product_Code=150+SKX&Category_C ode=354" target="_blank">Short Shifter</a>

Old 02-08-2002, 11:10 PM
dcpmark
Racer

I searched the archives, had many questions answered, but can anyone confirm that shifter **** sits higher after installation of the RS kit? If so, how much higher, and is this a desireable result? The shifter sits pretty high up already!

Thanks again.......
Old 02-09-2002, 11:22 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed a RS shifter this past summer... as a result the "shift" is more positive/solid feel - because of the U-joint link instead of the rubber joint. the ride height was higher then what I liked so I chopped it down an inch... had to use a cut off wheel and reshape a new notch for the shifter cover/handle. the reason for the RS shifter to sit higher, I was told, so it will make the shifter closer to the steering wheel - track vs. street driving.

when istalling the RS shifter assembly in a C2 you have to rotate the shifter guide tube 180 deg. its located in the shifter tunnel. this is also the reason why the RS shifter sits higher.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:38 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

dcpmark,

If you install the RS short shift and Gert's MY02 shift **** it will probably come out about the same height as current. The MY02 shift **** can be pushed further down the shaft than the original 993 ****. When I installed my MY02 **** I didn't realize this and it came out about an inch lower then the previous ****. When I asked Gert about it he confirmed that to get the same fit as original I'd have to raise the **** up some and retighten it at the higher position. I got used to the look and feel and liked it so I left it that way.

Ben
Old 02-09-2002, 12:47 PM
dcpmark
Racer

That's great news, Ben! Thanks to all for the responses.......I'm off to order my short-shift kit......

Quick Reply: Short shift kit questions.....