Bilstein B6 vs B8

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 PM
cbk07
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein B6 vs B8

Hi all,

I am about to order Bilsteins and H&R's for my 993. Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage to ordering B6's over B8's? Will I be able to lower car more with one over the other? Is there a performance difference? The B8's are about $125 less.....if there is any benefit to using B6 then I will go that route. Any info will be appreciated. Thank you
Old 08-18-2014, 11:48 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The HDs on Tire Rack have the extra threads that people commonly comment about. I'm not sure if they are B6 or B8. http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...6&autoModClar=
Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I can tell you not to order H&Rs.

Regarding shocks, B6s are usually HDs, B8s are sports. Not to get into deep details (it's the same shock with different body length), I believe that only HD is available for a 993, at least it's been the case up until I did mine 3 years ago. Where are you seeing both?

Depending on your intended use you might also look at Koni FSD: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...89&CAGPSPN=pla
Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 AM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the difference in "intended use" that may cause someone to pick one over the other?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:34 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am much more familiar with Bilsteins on my 993s (with H&r springs on first car, M030 springs on second one) and Koni Sports on other cars, so I can't comment very specifically on FSDs. Many people commented that they are more suitable to mostly street use. For autocross work and light track Bilstein HDs would probably work better (with right springs).

It's very hard to give suspension advise without clear understanding of intended use. So if the OP is interested in some help he can state what he's looking for. Other than tat I've just tried to give cursory info based on his specific questions.

I'm in Boston so OP can drive my combo if he is ever up here.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:45 AM
Eric in SD
Rennlist Member

I went through this earlier this year. I liked the idea of the shorter piston length on the B8 but could not get them anywhere in the US. Gert and others convinced me that there is no performance difference. If you go with the B6 HD's, you must get the extra threaded body so you can get the ride height you prefer. In the end I went with FD Motorsports HD package with MO33 springs plus MO30 anti sway bars.

After the install I had the Kinematic toe reset, a 4 wheel alignment, and corner balance. You should too.

Search and you will find a wealth of information and opinions. Happy hunting
Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 AM
cbk07
Intermediate

Thank you for the replies guys (as well as the offer to try out the setup Nile13). My car will be at least 90% street use with an occasional autocross or track day. Tirerack sells both the HD's (B6) and Sports (B8)
If the B8 does not have the extra threads, will it limit my ability to lower the car? I am not looking to lower the car excessively. but would like to have the ability to get it to RS+10.

Also, why not HR's? Too harsh or poor handling?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the B6 and H&R spring combo and think its perfect for how I like the car to handle and feel. It depends on what you are coming from and used to. there are some good discussions on this topic re valving and spring rates etc.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by cbk07
Hi all,

I am about to order Bilsteins and H&R's for my 993. Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage to ordering B6's over B8's? Will I be able to lower car more with one over the other? Is there a performance difference? The B8's are about $125 less.....if there is any benefit to using B6 then I will go that route. Any info will be appreciated. Thank you
The B8s are shorter than the B6s, otherwise they are the same, there is also a short motorsports shock that is very hard to find these days, all of them ought to be revalved for the best results

I'd take talk to Dan Jacobs down the road in Oxford, he'll set you right. They have one of the beast suspension setup programs out there.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:18 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

^^^^^ What he said. Talk to Dan or Baron and you'll be on the righteous path. =-). Not to mention, he is the only one that I trust for alignment set-up. No affiliation, just a happy client
Old 08-19-2014, 04:04 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbk07
Thank you for the replies guys (as well as the offer to try out the setup Nile13). My car will be at least 90% street use with an occasional autocross or track day. Tirerack sells both the HD's (B6) and Sports (B8)
If the B8 does not have the extra threads, will it limit my ability to lower the car? I am not looking to lower the car excessively. but would like to have the ability to get it to RS+10.

Also, why not HR's? Too harsh or poor handling?
I looked at TireRack. They show HDs, which are B6s. They show some second version of HD "For 993 platform only", which I assume to be HD with extra threads as discussed above. These are $335 and $375 respectively. They also show Sport (must be new) for $340. So the pricing is about the same among them.

Traditionally, Bilstein valved their HD and Sport (to confuse further, they are called Sport and Sprint, respectively, in Europe). The only difference is the length of the shock itself, to use with stock (HD) or shorter (Sport) springs. I would try to investigate what the difference between HD and Sport specifically for 993 as the Sport shocks were not available for this car as recently as 3 years ago. A call to Bilstein NA is probably in order.

H&R springs are just not quite right for Bilstein valving on a 993. It's not just my opinion. I ignored it with my first car, actually. What i got is an overdamped system that was, at the same time, slightly harsher and floatier that what I currently have with Bilstein and M030s.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:06 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, as a general rule of thumb, listen to Bill Verburg very intently on anything suspension-related.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM
JDB1
Advanced

carnewal.com has comparison images and use descriptions that I think are very good.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:10 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

It might be my imagination, but it appears that B6s with longer threads are no longer needed as a product - one can just use B8 for the same purpose.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
cbk07
Intermediate

Thank you guys. nile13, your post above is one of the things I am wondering. Will I be able to go low enough with the B8's or will I still need extra threads as sold on the B6's? Just because the stroke is shorter may not have any impact on the amount the car can be lowered.....or am I mistaken.

By the way, you have convinced me that M030 is the way I will go. Just have to figure out which shocks. Has anyone here tried B8's with M030 and if so, any issues with how low you can go>

Quick Reply: Bilstein B6 vs B8