993 Forum 1995-1998

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:18 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
More people seem to complain about creaking noises coming from aftermarket. I haven't heard of anyone having that problem with OEM.
Originally Posted by mpruden
Mine is OEM, installed by Safelite, and creaked like crazy. It was not installed squarely.

The rubber cord trick completely eliminated the creaking problem though.
My impression was that creaking has to do more with installation rather than the glass itself.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Gerry Kokoszka
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by a reputable body shop that they couldn't find any aftermarket front windshield glass due to older cars and low demand. Who is the supplier of the aftermarket glass?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:03 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
So what were the conditions under the glass...any corrosion? Also, how much "out of sight expensive" was the OEM glass?
My car had almost no corrosion, what was there was just surface two or three very small spots where the paint chipped off, nothing structural. The adhesive, I feel, will do a good job of sealing off from future exposure to moisture.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:18 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

More people seem to complain about creaking noises coming from aftermarket. I haven't heard of anyone having that problem with OEM.

Since the glass is set to float in a rubber like compound that dries to a flexible rubber, I feel, creaking can only be caused by two sources. Either the glass was not set correctly so instead of floating in the adhesive it is in contact with the metal body. something I would think would exhibit a squeak right after the install. The other being the inner or outer rubber gaskets squeaking against the glass or body with car body flexing. My gut tells me that if you can find the area of the Squeak and it is caused by the contact of one of the rubber gaskets one could squirt some clear 100% silicone bath & shower calk under the rubber's edge to tie the gasket to the body or glass eliminating the squeak. This is something I did with my 86' Carrera that had a different glass mounting system and it quieted things right down. If you feel silicone is not a good idea the same result could probably be done with 3M trim adhesive that comes in the yellow snot color or black. If you use this stuff be prepaired to rub off any excess the shows once it is partially dry as at that point it can be removed.
I am not a body or glass guy, just a hands-on guy that has solved these sort of problems in the past so take my advice at your own risk.
Hope this helps,
Andy
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gerry Kokoszka
I was told by a reputable body shop that they couldn't find any aftermarket front windshield glass due to older cars and low demand. Who is the supplier of the aftermarket glass?
The glass is branded "SIGLA"
Manufacturer: FLACHGLAS Wernberg GmbH, Germany

Find a new shop as the OE glass is $1200 and the only reason I can think he would say such a thing is because he is not competent or he wants to maximize parts revenue on the job, both items I would be concerned about.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 08-11-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:10 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
The glass is branded "SIGLA"
Manufacturer: FLACHGLAS Wernberg GmbH, Germany

Find a new shop as the OE glass is $1200 and the only reason I can think he would say such a thing is because he is not competent or he wants to maximize parts revenue on the job, both items I would be concerned about.
Andy
Sigla is OEM glass.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put my '95 in the body shop this morning.
$50 State Farm deductible will cover cost to replace cracked windshield.
Shop will pull the windshield and repair any rust/corrosion; a few telltale bubbles on cowl near wipers.

Safelite is scheduled to replace the windshield while in the body shop.

Also repairing self-inflicted tear on rear bumper valance at exhaust tip.

By the way, Safelite replaced windshield in our MINI last month; no questions asked on Saturday when my wife took it back for replacement due to stress crack.
Their replacement wiper blades are the only ones we have found that don't squeal.

So far, liking Safelite.

Gordo
Old 08-11-2014, 06:40 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sigla is OEM glass.
I understand and agree.
My view is the same as yours, it's a mater of semantics:
SIGLA is an OE supplier but the Original Equipment glass does not say SIGLA on it.
The OE glass has the Porsche symbol on it.
I agree that in form and function they are probably identical, made on the same line with identical materials.
The difference is about $600 at retail for the Porsche branded glass. Some will pay this premium for originality.
Andy
Old 08-11-2014, 09:25 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I understand and agree.
My view is the same as yours, it's a mater of semantics:
SIGLA is an OE supplier but the Original Equipment glass does not say SIGLA on it.
The OE glass has the Porsche symbol on it.
I agree that in form and function they are probably identical, made on the same line with identical materials.
The difference is about $600 at retail for the Porsche branded glass. Some will pay this premium for originality.
Andy
I have never seen a anything but Sigla and Securit branded glass, I have never seen glass that said Porsche. My OEM back window was replaced last year at the local Porsche dealer with the Securit brand ordered straight from the factory.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 110 Posts

I have never seen a anything but Sigla and Securit branded glass, I have never seen glass that said Porsche. My OEM back window was replaced last year at the local Porsche dealer with the Securit brand ordered straight from the factory.
I understand a triangle logo identifies the OE Porsche glass, even if from the same supplier.

Cheers

Matt
Old 12-07-2014, 11:28 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd like to bump this with a question... Just had a new windshield installed (Pilkington - purchased from the Porsche dealer with new seals). I do have a bit of light creaking around the windshield while driving but I have another concern:

Along the inside bottom edge of the windshield, just above the dash you can see where the sealant has squished through between the inner rubber seal and the glass. The installer has done many windshields for me in the past and I'm fairly certain that they had done 993 glass before. You can't see it unless you sit up in the seat a little bit and then it's obvious.

I can't remember if any original sealant was visible prior to the new glass but I think I would have remembered it. Have you guys seen this before with glass replacement? Should I be concerned?
Old 12-07-2014, 12:01 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
you can see where the sealant has squished through between the inner rubber seal and the glass.
KNS,
No biggie. You can clean it off with a spatula blade or take it back to the installer. I would be more concerned if the installer used too little sealant.

Andy
Old 12-07-2014, 12:16 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the reply. It's been a couple of days so the sealant is dry. I might be able to remove the forward dash trim (five screws) and pull the inner rubber seal up and over the sealant to cover it.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Emo993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allen, I still have original OEM windshield and it does creak. What type of lubricant did you use. Did you put any on the outside seal.....Thanks, mark

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement