993 Forum 1995-1998

advise/guidance

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Nobody here can answer this for you. Which woman should you go for? Blond, Brunette, Redhead. ***** or Butt?

I think too many rely on the internet for answers. Life is about experience, too.
well said
Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 PM
WoodvaleTiger
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody here can answer this for you. Which woman should you go for? Blond, Brunette, Redhead. ***** or Butt?

I think too many rely on the internet for answers. Life is about experience, too.
Oh believe me...the answers here won't finalize my decision, but the internet allows access to many people who have experience with both. I somewhat knew the answer before asking, but everyone here could have said something giving me a new perspective.

Also I unfortunately don't have the most access to folks with both. My search will be national, but just preparing all things to consider.

Thanks all for the quick responses, as Rennlist certainly seems to be a very welcoming community!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

As many have said, you really need to get some wheel time in the cars you're considering. $60K isn't chump change, well not for this chump anyway, and only you can decide.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

for $60k you can get a really nice 993C2S/993C4S or a really ****ty 997TT.

You will want $75k for a 997.1TT.

With $60k go with the 993 series.
If you can up your budget to 997TT money, the 993 series is still something not to pass up.

Both cars offer different things. Depends what you like more....

I am currently considering a 07-09TT because it is a great all round 911 for the money, but I am going to make an offer on a 993TT that i have been chasing prior to as it is the more "special" car and priced as such.
If i do not land the 993TT, i will have to settle for the 997TT. (and still be happy except when i see a 993TT in a parking lot)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:33 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I came to the 993 from Corvettes. My last Corvette was a Z06, and I am secure enough in my manhood to admit that the performance of the car greatly exceeded the skill of the driver. It was almost too fast for the road, at least with me behind the wheel. I drove some 996TT's and quickly came to the conclusion that those cars are probably a little beyond the capabilities of this untrained driver as well. I next drove some 997's and while nice, they were a little too refined. I was not even considering anything made before 2000, and was really about to give up my quest for a 911, as, up until this point, I did not see what all the hype was about. At this point I had no real understanding of the air cooled vs water cooled situation. I figured I would take a look at an older model, but wasn't holding my breath, because who in their right mind would want a 18 year old air cooled car. Well, I drove one and that was it, I had to have it.

With that little story behind me, here are some of the reasons why I continue to like the 993:

1. It has stopped depreciating (and some say is appreciating, please don't start a thread about this). This was always a major source of stress to me when I had Corvettes. How to have a cool car and simultaneously not lose your shirt.

2. It is not super fast, I am not tempted to race people because there is a good chance I would not win. It much more closely matches my skill as a driver

3. It sounds unbelievable with sport cats and Fister Is

4. It is not a new car, so it is not perfect, which was also a source of stress when I bought new Corvettes. That first scratch was always so painful.

5. It is a 19 year old car that doesn't look out of style, it is timeless

I couldn't be happier with my decision (which is usually not how it goes for me)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Anybody can state what one can buy for the money. It still comes down to which car you'd rather drive-your opinion alone. Answers here are meaningless.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nobody here can answer this for you. Which woman should you go for? Blond, Brunette, Redhead. ***** or Butt? I think too many rely on the internet for answers. Life is about experience, too.
Always go for butt. ***** are easier to add. Hair color; I prefer brunette like my wife but she was blonde when I met her.

Ok, now that I'm done being contrarian, I agree it is always up to the person shopping. No one can tell you the right car for YOU.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Anybody can state what one can buy for the money. It still comes down to which car you'd rather drive-your opinion alone. Answers here are meaningless.
Agreed.

I'm going through a similar decision with a friend, and here's the advice I gave him FWIW.

Go with your gut. Don't over think it. Look at each car (or images of each car) and trust your gut.

On paper we should all be driving Accords or taking trains anyway.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For $60k a WB 993 would definitely be a good consideration and a car that should hold its value while you own it. Its a classi, but not a modern beast like a 997. The 996TT is worth test driving too because they are such bargains in the $/hp ratio these days.

This might sound like heresy but are you 100% committed to buying a 911? You could pick up a Boxster Spyder or a Cayman R for less than your budget. Either car would be a ton of fun to drive on the weekends. I don't think either of these will depreciate too heavily either because they are limited production and performance oriented. Similar to 964 RSA in a way.

GL! Go enjoy some test drives and let us know what you end up with.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:59 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

I've been wondering about the 997 TT for years so I drove one about 9 months ago and found the sport seat terribly uncomfortable. It was actually awful. I could barely breathe in it and I am relatively thin. Maybe the regular seat is 10X more comfortable.

Love the way it looks but it just wasn't me. The 993 is softer looking, less ostentatious in my mind, and just perfectly STEVE, like it was made for me.

Never got that feeling from the 996 TT or 997 TT even though they're great cars for what they are. They're just not for me, yet.

Steve
Old 08-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Engage all your senses in the decision...sight, sound, smell, and feel.

Try to find a well sorted 993 to drive, hell, ride in anyway. Do the same with the 997 variant your considering. Post up the area where you live here, do the same on the 997 forum. Try to arrange for a rennlister to let you go up, over, and around their respective car...we're a pretty proud of our car's bunch-should be no problem finding someone for this.

Best situation would be having the ability to look at, ride/drive em back to back, park them near each other so you can walk around and admire each. For me personally, while I appreciate the look of the 997 series(not all mind you), the 993 is pure emotion. The driving dynamics, compactness of the car, it's operating simplicity, let alone it's sound and smell...it was game over for me.

I have a child hood friend who bought an 08 GT3 last summer-different animal all together I realize. Stunning car, brings forth the same tactile feel for me, the sounds, sensations, etc. Thankfully I can not afford one, cause a GT3 is about the only thing that could pry my cold dead hands off a 993. Disclaimer...I've never driven a 997TT, or ridden in one at song.

Anyway, engage the senses...and best of luck.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just another quick thought that made my decision easy. You can always buy 997TT or even 991TT later for less. 993 are getting much harder to come by and are raising in price. If you don't like 993 it will be easy to sell it and get into your next car. The other way is likely to be more difficult and more expensive.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC993
Just another quick thought that made my decision easy. You can always buy 997TT or even 991TT later for less. 993 are getting much harder to come by and are raising in price. If you don't like 993 it will be easy to sell it and get into your next car. The other way is likely to be more difficult and more expensive.
Good point
Old 08-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

i love all 911's, but for the money (30k-40k range) 993 c2/c4 is the one to get imo. if i had 60 grand to spend i'm not sure i could bring myself to spend a lot of extra $ for a 993 just to have the turbo look, as gorgeous as it is. for the kind of money i would go 996 gt3... the 996 gt3 is something to consider.

as for 997, unless its a nice 997 turbo or gt3 (more than 60k) i would go for a 993 of 6 gt3.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

^^Finding a no issue 6-GT3 isn't easy, at $60K.

Quick Reply: advise/guidance