Sponsored by:

My first 500 miles – the good and not so good

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeape
That was my weak attempt at sounding like Mike and Edd from Wheeler Dealers. I should have stated "Crack'n Mota"
Or "would YOU listen to that!" as Mike gets in a guns the engine. I like how Mike shows up, gets in what seems to be a cold car and just revs the crap out of it. I like the show too. Like how Edd actually teaches somethings on one car that can be used on others. I think it was the beetle show where I actually learned what all the engine tins are for

Glad you are enjoying your car and that you got the signal fixed. SO no fast flash if signal goes out on 993?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:45 AM
SwayBar
Race Car

Received 325 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCar
and smile knowing you could smoke them if needed.
Not true, at all.

I have owned my NA 993 for 11 years now and love it, but let's be clear, there's nothing special about it power-wise.

This guy states it best:

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
most cars today could spank a 993NA anyways.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:18 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I gave up trying to understand the irrational behavior of others out there on the road and in life in general a long time ago. My conclusion is that most people simply aren't very intelligent and that leads to unpredictable and often poor behavior no matter what you do. Best advice is give up on trying to understand the idiots, do your best to ignore them, but always be aware of your surroundings so you can react and stay safe. But I'm sure you probably already know this is the best way to go......Motor on!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2

Glad you are enjoying your car and that you got the signal fixed. SO no fast flash if signal goes out on 993?
The fast flash was occurring intermittently because the incorrect bulb a 1156A that has both contact pins on bottom as opposed to 1157A with one bottom and one in middle, did make contact sometimes but eventually shorted. The fuse did its job resulting in a fast relay situation with the right signal engaged. Unfortunately, I was impatient with removing the incorrect bulb out of the socket. When I forced the 1156A out of the socket the bottom socket contact came with it . I rigged it for now but need a new socket.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Best advice is give up on trying to understand the idiots, do your best to ignore them, but always be aware of your surroundings so you can react and stay safe. But I'm sure you probably already know this is the best way to go......Motor on!
agree 100%
Old 08-02-2014, 05:51 PM
bjornebo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately I haven't experienced any negativity. I do get an occasional thumbs up from other drivers or a smile and a "nice car" from pedestrians when I'm stopped at a stop sign. I guess folks don't feel threatened by/envious of p-cars here in Richland, WA.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
This does not ever happen to me either. (California). I'm not sure that an old 993 is something that registers at all in the "special car" meter of the general population here in the Northern California Bay Area.
nor cal, off sandhill road, menlo, atherton, saratoga, even a 918 wont get much attention. landing a gulf stream on university ave may get a few stares that's about it.

Originally Posted by race911
Never any issues from anyone other than fellow 911/930 owners in nearly 30 of 35 years of having one here in Northern California. And I'll admit that when I was a teen into my mid-20s I was pretty much the poster boy for the bad reputation 911s have out there......
hahaha, i am trying to picture that, ken.
then i realized you still are hhahaha
Old 08-03-2014, 02:59 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeape
That was my weak attempt at sounding like Mike and Edd from Wheeler Dealers. I should have stated "Crack'n Mota" . I like their show because Edd provides more details and explains the repairs more than many of the other shows on today and they showcase various makes and models.
I got the reference, it was my weak attempt to be funny

You should just be happy that you finally have a "proper Porsche". it would be nice to have Ed with free labor too, I must say.

Quick Reply: My first 500 miles – the good and not so good