PPI Results, Opinions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Reno 911
I like both the 964 and 993. I'm also quite flexible on the color. I much prefer black on black, but also don't mind red and tan. My biggest priority is getting a well sorted 911, but I'm certainly not going to pull the trigger on a car that is overpriced and/or needs a lot of work (as my first experience has proven). I also haven't yet seen the cars, as the dealer is getting them in tomorrow. Just for the sake of argument, let's say that they just have a few small items - maybe $1,000 work total, but the overall condition is good. Let's also say that the car has minimal modifications. I'm really just trying to get a ballpark figure at this point, given that my information is limited and having such information will help me haggle the price tomorrow if any of them interest me.
$41.5k is a good price if the 60k service and clutch are done, clean carfax and it only needs $1k to be in great shape.

$1k will do very little to one of these cars.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
dude, you gotta do a bit of homework. Both cars can be a great deal or "run away now". As you should know by now, if you read your own thread, there are tons for things that should be considered and price is only one of them. We are here to help, but you have to put some effort in rather than have this forum make a decision for you.
I agree. I had countless hours researching 911 SC's, 3.2's and lastly, 996tt's until I recently landed on the 964 and 993s as a decent marriage between old school vibe with a bit more modern drivability. It's clear that I have a lot of reading to do, so I better get on that .
Old 07-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

OK, some "rust freaks me out" comments. What did I miss? Rust is mentioned on rotors only, as far as I saw. I can wash my car, pull it in the garage, and have rust colored rotors in the am.

Having said that- $39K?!?!?!?! Sheesh, I should sell mine for $45K to someone, it would be a comparative bargain.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

This was left out, but included in a note I sent to the friend I referred to in my original post (below). In any case, I passed on the car.

"The items I was advised to fix immediately are the alignment, wheel balance, and shifter bushing. Unfortunately, the bolts that attach the shield plate to the car must be removed to access the shifter bushing and rod. Because the car spent many years in Florida, the bolts are severely rusted and many are broken/sheered."

Due to the broken/severe rust on the bolts, this led him to believe that the car may have seen water at some point. This also gave the technician less confidence in the vehicle's condition.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reno 911
This was left out, but included in a note I sent to the friend I referred to in my original post (below). In any case, I passed on the car.

"The items I was advised to fix immediately are the alignment, wheel balance, and shifter bushing. Unfortunately, the bolts that attach the shield plate to the car must be removed to access the shifter bushing and rod. Because the car spent many years in Florida, the bolts are severely rusted and many are broken/sheered."

Due to the broken/severe rust on the bolts, this led him to believe that the car may have seen water at some point. This also gave the technician less confidence in the vehicle's condition.
Sounds like very good advice from the tech!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:05 AM
TexPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reno. I have a black on black, manual in San Antonio for sale. Low mileage, nice mods etc.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

I find it interesting that the things gone over do not cover known issues with 993 that every owner deals with sooner or later. Certain items reported on are of questionable value and probably could be boilerplate text for any 993 inspection. The inspection seems to be tailored for what the mechanic thinks he might want to fix. Here is a list you may find useful:
Attached Images
Old 07-19-2014, 01:35 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

An average 95 with over 100k miles at $39k. Crazy I say. Is that really where the market is? Personally I would pass - probably would not even have paid for a ppi.

Didn't read to the end - good choice.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:22 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Great feedbacks....
Old 07-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexPorsche
Reno. I have a black on black, manual in San Antonio for sale. Low mileage, nice mods etc.
I sent a PM your way.

Originally Posted by pp000830
I find it interesting that the things gone over do not cover known issues with 993 that every owner deals with sooner or later. Certain items reported on are of questionable value and probably could be boilerplate text for any 993 inspection. The inspection seems to be tailored for what the mechanic thinks he might want to fix. Here is a list you may find useful:
I agree and don't expect to find a "perfect" car. However, the car I looked at was far from perfect and overpriced for the number of issues.

Quick Reply: PPI Results, Opinions Wanted