993 Targa wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:41 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris V
Had my targa wheels redone a few months ago at a place recommended by Pirahna. They completely disassembled the wheels, media blasted all components included the bolt heads, painted the inner and outer sections and powder coated the bolt heads black and then reassembled. Wheels look awesome. Cost was $225 per wheel, not cheap but they look new and the quality of the work is excellent.

http://www.wheeltechniques.com
Looks awesome! Glad everything worked out. The guys at the shop are a little sketchy looking but all the work I have seen that they have done looks great.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

The result looks great! Chris, did you discuss the bolt reuse stretching debate with the refinisher?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Chris V
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeape
The result looks great! Chris, did you discuss the bolt reuse stretching debate with the refinisher?
I did ask if they thought there would be any issues with reusing the bolts. They said they would inspect and determine if any bolts should be replaced due to corrosion, etc. or if any bolts appeared stressed but I did not specifically get into any extended conversations about reuse stretching. This place does a lot of multi-piece wheel restoration so I figured they knew what they were doing. Fortunately, none of the bolts needed replacing. There was no evidence of bolt rust on the front or backside that I could see prior to disassembly aside from the bolt heads looking pretty crappy. I called Wheel Enhancement in LA and they wouldn't even touch 993 targa wheels. I also called Harvey Weidman's place and they they were willing but had a 9 month backlog of work. Wheel Techniques staff weren't the least bit concerned about being able to restore the 993 targa wheels. It did take them about 3 weeks to complete the work but I also told them I was in no rush.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:47 PM
GoPorsche
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks perfect; nice work!

Chris, if I'm not wrong, there is a gasket between the inner and the outer sections. Did you replace it or did you re-use the one that was originally installed?

Do you know the torque value used to screw to the bolts?

Quick Reply: 993 Targa wheel