Dashboard lights - Replacing bulb

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 PM
CarcentricB
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dashboard lights - Replacing bulb

Hi,

I noticed that several warning lights in my dashboard don't light up when I start the car. See picture.

At first sight there are 3 lights not working: top right, bottom left and the check engine light.

I have a Carrera 2 so I guess it's normal that there is no bottom left warning light, and also no top left one?

But the CEL should light up, or not ? I have a '95 RoW with a Bosch M2.10 DME, so in theory I could use the CEL to read the fault codes? That would be nice...

Question: How can I replace the CEL bulb? Can I simply take out the meter from the dashboard and insert a new bulb? Any tips?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2014, 09:02 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I can't answer the question on which bulbs should illuminate when, but if you do want to change them, here are some tips. Be sure to search as well for more detail before you begin:

1. Be patient - the gauges are friction fit and there is a LOT of friction.
2. Use something to gently pry between the rubber gasket and the dashboard
3. If you use a screwdriver to pry, be sure to tape it up so you don't scratch anything
4. If you can get it even 1mm out, you should be able to grab the gauge and slowly wiggle it out.

The bulb replacement is pretty self explanatory once you get the gauge out. The bulb bases just unscrew.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not every light comes on. For example, if your car was not equipped with abd, that light will not illuminate. Ever. Try pulling your gauge out of the dash and swap bulbs that you think should work into slots that you have confirmed do light up. In my experience this is safe to do while the car is on/all lights are supposed to be on.

Quick Reply: Dashboard lights - Replacing bulb