Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 05:08 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I think he removed the oil-line to gain access to the engine filter (pressure side). I had to do the same to get to that filter. Next time, I may try to get at that filter w/out removing the oil line now that I have a better tool.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:05 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Gosh Dang maybe I should send my TT back and
get a 83 Toyota Corona II
SHeesh
Old 08-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By crush washer, do you mean not the ones Porsche sells ? [QUOTE]

I mean the ones they DO sell; flat aluminum.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:50 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first time I changed my oil, I took off the oil return tube. I probably needed to because someone had put the engine filter on waaay too tight. Had to finally buy a lockdown type oil filter wrench to get it off. The openings created by the removal of the tube drip constantly all over you while you are working, too.

The next time, I took off the filter without removing the tube. No problemas.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by ca993twin
What great reading. I'm falling out of my chair. But I can top your bozo stories with my own. I just paid Rusnak Porsche-Audi (Westlake Village, CA), $217 to change my oil for me. There. I said it. Go ahead, laugh your asses off. Oh, and the level looks a touch too high for my taste.
Great Bozo story Steve!
Old 08-13-2003, 12:22 AM
SLVR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries, I've saved tens of thousands by DIY'ing in 25 years of car ownership despite some set backs. The 500 brake pad swaps alone probably would pay for a nice p-car.

Success story: When I want back to school for 18 months at the advanced age of 32 I was uncertain of my earnings propects and decided to do my 100 mile commute in a 10 year old Golf I diesel with a gazzilion miles on it, cost $1000. One day the oilpan pressure rose to the point where oil started to get into the intake manifold through the vent pipe. Since it was a diesel the oil acts as fuel and engine starts revving-up.

There was heavy traffic moving at about 80 mph and to avoid hitting the car in front of me had to depress the clutch and you can guess what happened next. I didn't bother checking what was in that engine in terms of parts.

300 dollars for an engine a friend of mine had retired in favor of a TDI and a Saturday of serious wrenching got me on the road again, covered another 35,000 miles with it before selling at $2500. Satisfaction of not paying a dealer 2000+ for the work or another car, PRICELESS.

Horror story.
Some time back did a 30 dollar no brainer DIY on my p-car, got something wrong and a major item expired. No brainer indeed :-( Cost 600 greenies.
Sometimes you just have to take the pain to get the gain.

Quick Reply: Bozo fixes his oil leak -addendum to oil change