Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming key FOB

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I am now having no luck programming another fob (to replace the one I laundered) for my car and it is not the alarm system causing the problem. I have not taken the time to work through it yet but I suspect it is an intermittent switch in the ignition key mechanism. There is a switch in the locking mechanism that senses the key is inserted, turns on the bong when you open the door and have the key in the ignition. The output of that switch goes to the immobilizer control unit also. If it is not working or is intermittent it will not allow the immobilizer to be programmed."

That's a common problem as the 993 gets older.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:55 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Andy, I had heard/read that before. Was it your post? I was unable to verify if the difference in resistence between the LED and filiment bulbs was valid. Have you confirmed this to be true?

Thanks loads,
Paul[/QUOTE]
Hi paul,
My understanding of basic electronics is that an LED is a Light Emitting Diode. A diode is a semiconductor device that passes current in only one direction. so it may look like a switch in certain circuits. How it may interact with a computer controlled circuit seems like it may influence how the current flows and what the computer recognizes as problematic.
On the other hand if the door LED is not flashing in couplets there probably is no issue with a system. However I have never tried this.
PS no this is my first post bringing up the LED issue.

Andy
Old 07-03-2014, 03:02 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

In my car I have added some aftermarket features such as automatic door locking ten seconds after the ignition is turned and a headlights/ turn signal lights left on with ignition off buzzer. If the car you have has any aftermarket stuff like this it may be the cause of the problem. In my case I will need to disconnect one or both of these features any time I wish to program keys in the future.
Andy
Old 07-04-2014, 12:08 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

So I reinstalled the engine bay light harness and tried the procedure again. There is still no Alarm light blinking going on in Step 2. The alarm arms fine, the door LEDs blink once upon locking and unlocking, but it won't allow me to enter programming mode...
Old 07-04-2014, 12:49 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Ilko,
I had also heard from a very reliable source, that the relay located just behind the steering wheel, in the trunk, will affect the operation of the immobilizer...FWIW
Just passing along the info, regardless of the validity.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"How it may interact with a computer controlled circuit seems like it may influence how the current flows and what the computer recognizes as problematic."

Using a LED for the immobilizer indicator will not affect the function/operation
of the immobilizer. That indicator is only used for the remote programming
operation. As mentioned, the ignition switch and the buzzer switch must
function perfectly or the programming operation will fail.

"There is still no Alarm light blinking going on in Step 2."

Then:

1. The code is incorrect, or
2. the ignition switch is bad, or
3. the buzzer switch is bad, or
4. the programming sequence wasn't followed to the letter, or
5. the immobilizer ECU is bad.

If possibly '5', then try programming in another known good 993.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:46 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"How it may interact with a computer controlled circuit seems like it may influence how the current flows and what the computer recognizes as problematic."

Using a LED for the immobilizer indicator will not affect the function/operation
of the immobilizer. That indicator is only used for the remote programming
operation. As mentioned, the ignition switch and the buzzer switch must
function perfectly or the programming operation will fail.

"There is still no Alarm light blinking going on in Step 2."

Then:

1. The code is incorrect, or
2. the ignition switch is bad, or
3. the buzzer switch is bad, or
4. the programming sequence wasn't followed to the letter, or
5. the immobilizer ECU is bad.

If possibly '5', then try programming in another known good 993.
Loren,
Could Andy have been referring to the resistance in the circuit for the glove box, trunk, engine bay, interior lights; if LED's were installed in those locations and not necessarily an LED used for the immobilizer indicator?

P.S. I love this thread and the information being exchanged!
Old 07-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"Could Andy have been referring to the resistance in the circuit for the glove box, trunk, engine bay, interior lights; if LED's were installed in those locations and not necessarily an LED used for the immobilizer indicator?"

Not really, as all contacts used for detection don't measure current and just
'look' for a ground (~ zero volts).
Old 07-05-2014, 02:43 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Could Andy have been referring to the resistance in the circuit for the glove box, trunk, engine bay, interior lights; if LED's were installed in those locations and not necessarily an LED used for the immobilizer indicator?"

Not really, as all contacts used for detection don't measure current and just
'look' for a ground (~ zero volts).
Thanks a bunch Loren! Your response was my understanding, but someone suggested that the computer checks for resistance when executing the self diagnostics.

Unfortunately, I admittedly do not know enough about the system software logic, or the diagnostic functions it checks for the ready state feedback
Old 07-05-2014, 05:52 PM
car3guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate everyone's comments on my original posting, since I need to take the car to the dealer for some other issues, guess I will let them program the FOB since I don't have any more hair to lose!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:16 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to let you know, I once replaced the ignition switch on the back of the ignition lock on my 86' Carrera. The 993 looks to be of the same design, it's not a big job.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"Just wanted to let you know, I once replaced the ignition switch on the back of the ignition lock on my 86' Carrera. The 993 looks to be of the same design, it's not a big job."

Actually, replacing the 993 ignition is much more difficult.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:06 AM
schroed911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have one working key so I bought a second from Suncoast.

The door sill light double flashes so I get to step 1 of the programming and the warning light in the clock goes on but does not turn off. I have the suncoast porsche LEDs in the interior lights and under hood and have the Tore LED kit for the exterior lights. My battery is charged to 79% according to my charger. The owners manual has a different procedure than the PDF published in this thread. The owners manual says use the key to unlock/lock/unlock, turn ignition key to on, then follows the PDF process. When I tried the owner manual process the warning light in the clock doesn't turn on and eventually the alarm goes off.

Any recommendations? I'd not want to deinstall all of the LEDs. 96 C4S. Is it easier to disable the immobilizer?
Old 05-01-2015, 01:43 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by schroed911
I only have one working key so I bought a second from Suncoast.

The door sill light double flashes so I get to step 1 of the programming and the warning light in the clock goes on but does not turn off. I have the suncoast porsche LEDs in the interior lights and under hood and have the Tore LED kit for the exterior lights. My battery is charged to 79% according to my charger. The owners manual has a different procedure than the PDF published in this thread. The owners manual says use the key to unlock/lock/unlock, turn ignition key to on, then follows the PDF process. When I tried the owner manual process the warning light in the clock doesn't turn on and eventually the alarm goes off.

Any recommendations? I'd not want to deinstall all of the LEDs. 96 C4S. Is it easier to disable the immobilizer?
schroed911,

See hoggle's post #12

If you lock the car with your working fob the alarm system will initiate a self test. If at the end of the test something has failed the LED lights in the door will double flash. If the test passed the LEDs will single flash. If your car is doing the double flash you will not be able to program the immobilizer. All of the faults that will cause the alarm test to fail, and some troubleshooting tips, have been detailed in pervious threads.
P.S. It is not easier to bypass the immobilizer, and it will be more costly than removing LED's
Old 05-02-2015, 06:52 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by pp000830
Just wanted to let you know, I once replaced the ignition switch on the back of the ignition lock on my 86' Carrera. The 993 looks to be of the same design, it's not a big job.
While I think the 3.2's and 3.6's share the same P/N for the back of the ignition switch, as Loren states, the replacement effort is not the same.

I remember pulling the whole ignition and steering lock assembly using the proceedure in the stupid book, 101 Things to do to your Porsche. Finally found a set screw/locking nut, holding the steering lock portion in place. not a word of this in the book, and you are definitely working by feel rather than sight, for most of the project.
BTW, Pulling the drivers seat is a must, if you value your back!

Quick Reply: Programming key FOB