Sponsored by:

Speedo/ABS wheel speed signal question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speedo/ABS wheel speed signal question

Not sure if I'll have much luck, but here goes.

The 993, like the 91- 964s, use the abs wheel speed sensor to drive the speedometer.

The 993 sends the wheel signal to the Abs control unit, the signal is pulsed (and maybe conditioned or converted), then sent directly to the speedo. In the 964, the signal is sent to the FCU (frequency control unit, which pulses the signal) then sent directly to the speedo.

However, I'm making some changes to my brake system that will most likely involve changing out the abs and associated control unit. Obviously I don't want to lose my speedometer... Any of you ABS gurus know if I can replace the wheel speed sensor with the 964 model, add the FCU, and send that signal to my Speedo? I think it may be possible since there are some 993s that use 964 part number speedos. So I'm thinking the signal can't be too different... Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Further info... The 993 uses the same speedo control box as the earlier 911s that used the FCU. I'm hoping this means that the speed signals are similar.

Might just give it a shot irregardless. I'll be sure to update this thread in case anyone else ever pulls their ABS control box, and wants to keep the speedo.

Quick Reply: Speedo/ABS wheel speed signal question