Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Problem with WEVOs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 07:02 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked about those things because I did a major service myself when I bought my car, and put in the wevos. I noticed the shifter did not like staying in first gear, and when under heavy load, would actually pop into neutral when clutched was depressed. I went back in and noticed I had about 1/2" gap between the carrier and mount in one side. So I disassembled and made sure the bolt was OK, and put it back together properly. Its been fine since then.

Do you have an aftermarket SSK installed? I was able to make the shifter act oddly depending on how I adjusted the front shift shaft with my FD SSK kit.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

^ no SSK, original everything shifter wise. Likely a simple mistake by one of the new apprentices. I have no doubt they will fix it just a pain bringing it back.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Me too, my 993 is "street legal"***

Originally Posted by vincer77
Glad I went RS.
I have had the 993 RS motor mounts and the tranny mount on for years, 5+, they look good to me.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

I went from the black insert to blue insert after about 2 years and 12k miles and the black insert looked brand new.

I think a lot of this is install error or a bad poly piece.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine were installed 5 years ago to the proper torque by ViperBob. They are the blues. They still looked good when I sold the car in July.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

this is the response I got from WEVO: I am also thinking mine were probably over torqued, either by my installer, of the previous owner (got my mounts used) . I have OEM motor sound mufflers FWIW.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In general, I would say that the whole family of SS Engine mount products are pretty trouble free. Having said that, the highest frequency of issues has been with the C2SS mount and particularly on the 964’s. Most often, it has been damage to the lower pillows, similar to your photos.

The issues we have seen are often related to incorrect arrangement of the parts. In particular when the installer has moved the bottom washer from the underside of the WEVO mount and placed it elsewhere in the stack of parts.

We have never really been able to identify a pattern or a cause for the failed parts we have seen – which now totals about 15 sets (in sales of over 1,000 sets)

Our first question is always in respect of the arrangement of the parts. They must be installed as we supply them, all the parts from WEVO touching each other in the stack – same as shown in the photo of the assembled mount that you sent.

Did your car spend an extended period of time being supported by the engine, as it would if jacked up under the engine by a floor jack? We are always trying to understand what is the trigger for the pillow failures we have seen, particularly given the numbers delivered and the low damage rate.

Assuming your parts are correctly arranged, then a second question would be about your exhaust. Is it stock or aftermarket? We have seen at least one example of an aftermarket exhaust that was responsible for overheating a mount – but then failure of the pillow did look slightly different to your “torn” pillow.

The blue pillows are definitely more durable. You can mix and match, using the black on top and the blue below. This maintains more of the value of the softer upper black pillows while giving the durability advantage of the blue pillow in the lower position.

To answer your other direct question – the life of the pillows is still not fully understood. We have cars out there now with pillows over 10 years of age. The frequency of selling replacement parts is going up, but tracking that indicates that it is in parallel with total units sold and mostly due to loss of parts after engine removals etc.

I know these are not definitive answers, but I hope it is some reassurance that we don’t ignore feedback like you have sent to us.

Thank you for your ongoing support of WEVO products.

Regards,

Hayden Burvill

Technical Director

Windrush Evolutions Inc.

www.wevo.com
Old 10-20-2014, 05:17 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't have Wevo mounts, but love that response. Thumbs up for a direct and transparent vendor-to-customer relationship.

Quick Reply: Problem with WEVOs