Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in trouble for flashing people in public? airbag light won't extinguish? click here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:29 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Lightbulb in trouble for flashing people in public? airbag light won't extinguish? click here!

I flashed people, & I couldn't help it. It got me in trouble

If you have the same problem & can't find relief, the solution may be changing out your steering column switches & stalk, part #993 613 353 00.

For me, the headlight stalk would randomly move a smidge (technical term) forward when my lowbeams were on, activating my highbeams at unintended times. Usually just a quick flash, sometimes longer. It's one way to get attention & meet people, but I really wouldn't recommend it

I finally met one other enthusiast familiar with this. He said the tension holding the stalk back can lessen with age, & is especially prevalent after you've just had your turn signal on. A bit more common in 964s, IIRC.

Part #1 in this Porsche PET diagram:
Old 06-14-2014, 12:31 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

From installing that, my airbag light illuminated & could not be extinguished. No way, no how. Would NOT reset. The dealer & two independent shops tried to help. They used at least 3 Porsche diagnostic tools that 'always work' - the standard ones like the PST2, Bosch hammer, etc., but nothing did the job for my '95 OBDI. For 5 days they worked on finding an answer, eventually revealed at a race shop.

If you ever experience a similar problem, this may be your salvation:
The BAUM T.U.I. CS2000. It's no longer produced, which may also make it more difficult to find, so I wanted to post my photos in case this info helps anyone searching. (A slightly related thread my searches found was RLer pp000830 (Andy)'s "Replaced the steering column switch assembly" thread.)

Ensure you have the proper cartridge.

^^ Last image's from an eBay auction. No affiliation.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:29 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow what is that item sitting on top of the case to the left? is that a oscilloscope?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,092 Posts

The airbag light issue, I believe has to do with which airbag controller is in your 993. Under 993 Durametric Software won't clear the light. Under the 964 menu it will for my 993. Go figure?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:55 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
I flashed people, & I couldn't help it. It got me in trouble

If you have the same problem & can't find relief, the solution may be changing out your steering column switches & stalk, part #993 613 353 00.

For me, the headlight stalk would randomly move a smidge (technical term) forward when my lowbeams were on, activating my highbeams at unintended times. Usually just a quick flash, sometimes longer. It's one way to get attention & meet people, but I really wouldn't recommend it
Replacing the switch assembly is really an easy fix. When re installing the steering wheel the metal locking clip for the airbag connector is prone to problems. I removed it from the airbag connector and just use a foot of electrical tape threaded through the steering wheel to hold the rotation connector in place. Once the wheel is installed one just pulls the end of the tape to remove it and release the connector's rotating part. Also if you happen to snap off the 12:00 pin that positions the connector to the steering wheel a short length of fish tank air tube with the broken off pin inserted in one end is a reliable permanent fix. I filled the hose with the 3M yellow snot trim adhesive to hold the thing together.

Quick Reply: in trouble for flashing people in public? airbag light won't extinguish? click here!