Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you have your own Bosch Hammer?

Old 04-05-2005, 11:40 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
Default How many of you have your own Bosch Hammer?

Just curious. I found one, but it's $2k and that's a chunk of change.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to pick one up... They go for $1500 - $2000... I saw one on ebay last year for about $900 I think. I wished I would have picked it up.

CHECK OUT THIS THREAD!
Old 04-05-2005, 12:02 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I bit the bullet a couple of years ago, and have no regrets. $2000 is about market. John Speake in the UK is offering a low-cost alternative, and that should bring prices down even for the real item.

I have a standing offer for Rennlisters to lease mine provided they assume all risks of loss or damage. That means I need a $2000 cash deposit that I refund when the hammer gets back safely. My rental fee is $25 per week, and I charge that mostly to provide some incentive to get it back quickly. It certainly does not cover the cost of owning the thing. You also pay shipping both directions, and pay for insurance if you want better assurance that you get your deposit back.

I use the thing only once or twice per year for my own car. It makes better sense to use it rather than let it collect dust and degrade the batteries from non use. I will glady sell you mine if you let me lease it back when needed.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Springer... Not to get too technical... But is it fairly easy to use? I'd love to check mine for faults but don't really want to pay the dealer. Plus I'd like to see what's going on with my own eyes. I'm assuming it comes with an instruction manual.

I'm waiting for one to John to either finish his invention or find one on sale. I'm sure it would pay for itself in the first couple of uses!

Rick
Old 04-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Can someone please explain what the Hammer can do that is worth the $2000 (on a C2)? I had use of one for a few months, and other than reading the error codes, after playing with it, I really lost interest in buying one. I'm really trying to understand, that's all........
Old 04-05-2005, 12:33 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

The hammer is 8086 generation computing if you are old enough to remember the first IBM PC. The first thing you will notice it that it is SLOW! However, it is menu-driven, and in English. It is no real problem to navigate the menus, but you do travel down some unexpected branches until you get the hang of it. It does lock up if you press the wrong buttons, and there is no reboot. You need to wait about 5 minutes for the auto off to kick in, and then it starts fine. If you can log on and get to this site, you have the computer skill needed to operate the hammer. You still need some mechanical skill to make repairs.

There is an instruction manual, and the factory manuals have instructions for each fault code. I find the hammer manual worse than useless. The menu structure gets you to where you need much quicker and with fewer wrong turns.

See the recent thread from BLK964/Jason. His car was running very poorly, and getting steadily worse. We spent a couple of hours on detailed troubleshooting, but at the end of the day the hammer had the exact problems, and no false alarms either. Pretty impressive.

The hammer will also read your engine and CCU sensors during a test drive. You can operate the CCU servos, resonance flap, individual injectors, fuel tank vent, and some others I can't recall. You can check the WOT and idle switches. You can check the AC compressor clutch.

The hammer is a crutch. You can troubleshoot without it, and you can clear the DME and CCU codes by removing power. The airbag codes need the hammer, and C4 needs the hammer to service the PDAS. Now that I have some experience, I could tackle any non-airbag C2 problem without the hammer. It does make it a lot easier, and it is very useful if you are not familiar enough with the 964 systems to get to components and check them the old fashioned way - with a VOM, oscilloscope, eyeballs and hands.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:37 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Springer,
Do you have the OBD2 cable for the hammer? In the "car selection" menu where you specify 944, 928, 911 have you ever selected "CARB(ISO)"? I'm curious to know what it does (obviously nothing on 964).
Old 04-05-2005, 02:41 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

No and no. I would be happy to try the "CARB(ISO)" menu, but I have no clue what it is for. Is CARB the California Air Resources Board, or is it "carbureted"? ISO is the international standards organization, as far as I know.

I only have the 19-pin round connector for the Porsche non-OBD diagnostic port. I have an OBD II code reader for the rest of the fleet. Brand new it cost $136.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:00 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hammer

the bosch hammer is nice -its one of those tools that if you have it nothing goes wrong, dont have one then you need one. actually the newer the car, lets say 1992,93,94,95,96 as long as still odb1 it performs alot more things. all the sytem are able to talk to bosch hammer and you have more access than the ealier cars. hope this makes sense. i seen this hooked up to 1995 993 and i was amazed at all the thing you could do compared to my 1990. but you have to use the square plug and not the round 19 pin for the newer ones. you only live once, get one. espeacially if your going to keep the car. not many rennlister live in my area but if you do you are more than welcome to by and get hammered
Old 04-05-2005, 06:27 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree. The hammer is an expensive version of the spare DME relay. Get one, and you will never need it.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:57 AM
craig001
Drifting

Springer,

What are you asking for it? I found the new one for $2k in the US (all set up for the 964) and missed a used one on eBay a while back for $910 (I forgot the end time from someone in Austrailia). I want to replace my Steering Wheel and really don't feel like spending the time and money at the dealer each time I forget a wire or something. (Mainly time - since it's only 1/2 hour labour - $65). The other problem in going to the dealer is I suddenly start drooling profusely as I wander the lot while waiting. Saw a real nice 2005 Boxter in Arctic Siver/Black for a shade over $50k. Had to keep repeating - "Must be strong, can't afford another divorce and bigger car payments."

If you are a PayPal user I would not have any issues renting it out to you ar others - like Toolman on the 944 boards with the Belt Tension Gauge.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:39 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am willing to sell, but I am not sure I can get much below your $2000 price. It is unlikely you found a new one - the KTS 300 is out of production and has been obsolete for many years. If it is new, the Ni-Cad batteries are sure to need replacing.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I have a stupid question... What are the dealerships using now? (I haven't been in to a Porsche dealer lately) I would assume they are using state of the art computer programs. It seems to me that all we need is the program and the hookup to a computer. The computing power of a laptop should blow away the Hammer. I would imagine that the Hammers are being used in older independent shops.

Please... Fill me in...
Old 04-07-2005, 10:24 AM
craig001
Drifting

Springer,

The guy says it's NIB and his last one. I can not remember where I found it at the moment. I hadn't thought about the NI-Cads being shot. Are they a special pack or user replacable?

I'm seen the thread about John's new "Spanner". I don't have a laptop so it may be a wash after getting the laptop, software, cabling, etc.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I think John has some Hammers for sale also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many of you have your own Bosch Hammer?