Sponsored by:

Monoball maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 09:32 AM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Monoball maintenance

Are there any periodic maintenance/lubrication requirements for monoball top mounts? The shop manual says the mounts on the RS should be greased in the course of replacing something "if they have run dry", but there is nothing mentioned on the regular maintenance schedules.

I have the FVD monoballs, and reason for asking is that lately I get the impression from the various noises during low speed manoeuvres (not spring noises) that the strut may not be moving freely in the mount, so I guess it is time to take a look.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be interested too.

My car was at shop just yesterday (to try end find the source for the noiuse issue) and he sprayed some king of grease (quite sticky after you've sprayed it) to all suspension joints, including the monoballs.

He commented on my car "since it's spotless and clean, which is from good washing, you should lube all the joints more often since you wash the grease too"
Old 08-06-2003, 12:38 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had monoballs on an '84 for years, never lubricated them. Same for my '94, and with 5000 miles on the '97 no lubrication. I was always told similar to Kim that they were a dry unit. They are just a large spherical bearing. I would be interested if you find out otherwise.

Quick Reply: Monoball maintenance