993 Forum 1995-1998

A Le Mans Memory

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:13 PM
rutz36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Le Mans Memory

I have looked for an existing thread to write about this memory but haven't found one, so I'll do my own. When I was assigned to Europe in 1955 and went through orientation in Germany, I was surprised to be further assigned to ComZ (France). Three of us left by train on a Saturday night for Paris where we changed trains. At about 2pm we were in Le Mans and bound for Niort and our final destination, St. Jean d' A. From there we would go by army truck to Fontenet, our station. But, it is Le Mans that has bugged me for nearly sixty years because since that time I've wanted to rewind the tape and get off the train. I have learned from life experiences and watched Porsche become the engineering and design firm it is today. That day, however, Mercedes crashed into the stands and killed scores of race-goers. The next day several GIs, who were at Le Mans on a three-day pass and had seen the race, were back with their stories. I never looked at the photos they took, the stories were grim enough, but I realized I had missed a chance to be at a historic event and witness Mercedes ordering their cars off the track. They remained off for decades.

A memory I wanted to share.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:55 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So glad you have. We were talking old sports car racing last night at my cousin's, as we were giving a shop tour and discussion on the whole 910/907 thing. As everyone goes through life, we've got so many stories. I'm sorry mine only start in the '70s with some others I can share secondhand from guys who were competing in the '50s and '60s.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yes what a terrible day that was with the magnesium fueled fire raging and all. I wonder what the sport would have been if Mercedes had kept going through the years. I thinks it's fantastic that when Mercedes came back to racing in the late 1980s they won right away with the Sauber V8s at Le Mans and at Indianapolis.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:43 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Well, a few years of soft-pedaling behind Peter Sauber.......... And the Indy effort was nothing more than their cash funneled through Penske to Ilmor on the Mother Of All rules exploitations in '94.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:37 PM
rutz36
Advanced

Thanks much, Ken. I realize something that happened sixty years ago just isn't relevant any longer. But those big Mercedes racers with the "air-brakes" rising and falling were so neat! They were bullies and I loved it! Good reading your posts. Thank you! Karl Kramer
Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

You know, being at that particular race on that day, is probably not the best dinner table story to tell people.

My apartment was 1.5 miles from the World Trade Center on 9/11/01 and I could see the towers out of my bedroom window. Saw way more than I ever wanted to that day. It's not something I like talking about.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

That was a very grim summer in motor racing. Brock Yates wrote a book about it. I believe the title is "Against death and time."
Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rutz36
Thanks much, Ken. I realize something that happened sixty years ago just isn't relevant any longer. But those big Mercedes racers with the "air-brakes" rising and falling were so neat! They were bullies and I loved it! Good reading your posts. Thank you! Karl Kramer
Sure is relevant. We were just talking over the weekend up at my cousins about how we pour over the most minute photos and film of yesteryear's racing. In building the 910 Bergspyder there just aren't any photos with detail. He's taking a couple of educated guesses on the shortened rear chassis construction. (Yes, there are real cars out there. No, there aren't any cooperative known owners. Unless they need his parts. But nothing's come up for this particular rare bird.)

Originally Posted by ilko
You know, being at that particular race on that day, is probably not the best dinner table story to tell people.

My apartment was 1.5 miles from the World Trade Center on 9/11/01 and I could see the towers out of my bedroom window. Saw way more than I ever wanted to that day. It's not something I like talking about.
I've got some '89 earthquake memories, and the power of Mother Earth.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 AM
pipingken1
Advanced

A memory I wanted to share.
I'm glad you shared this memory, I'm sure many of us have 'What if' moments.

Quick Reply: A Le Mans Memory