Sponsored by:

OT: Speedsters in Paradise

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OT: Speedsters in Paradise

So I may or may not be planning a surprise getaway for my sweetheart to Hawaii. She's never been there before and she's got a significant birthday coming up... yadda yadda yadda

Anyhow, look what I stumbled upon: http://www.mauiroadsters.com/

Apparently you can rent a reproduction 356 speedster during one's vacation in Maui. At about $270/day + fees it sure isn't cheap, but for a chance to drive a speedster along the twisty coastal roads of Maui it is pretty damn tempting.

So does anyone want to contribute towards my vacation fund so that I don't have to get stuck in a Geo Prizm with automatic transmission all trip long? Pleeeeeease?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Been to Maui before? Cuz "enjoyment" and "driving" are NOT used in the same sentence. Especially between the Maalaea Harbor and Lahaina.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

We're heading to Hana to visit some family (among other destinations). I'd love a nimble little speedster on that road.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
We're heading to Hana to visit some family (among other destinations). I'd love a nimble little speedster on that road.
You've driven it before?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I drove hana once. Never ever ever again In a speedster or anything else. You'll see for yourself.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

I love Maui but there's nothing there that even remotely encourages driving as an activity other than to get you from one cool place to the next. Forget the Speedster, rent a ToyHonMazNisGMFord sedan with good AC and spend what you save on food and fun. Also, I don't know how many days you plan to spend on Maui, but the trip to Hana will take most of one of those days. We started out in that direction but decided Paia and Hokipa Beach was far enough for us. YRMV....
Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Yup, I've driven the road to Hana a few times. Last time was in a minivan.

I guess I just like treacherous cliff side drives.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hana road would be fun in a Speedster. Also, the road up Haleakala.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

If you do it, stay in a condo at Mamas Fish House and at least you'll be farther from most of the traffic.
There's a place at club auto sport in San Jose that will rent you a Beck 550 Spyder if you want one closer to home.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We loved maui. spent a week there after a week at Waikiki beach for a friends wedding. We hired an open top mustang - not quite a 993 and pretty hairy on some of the roads, esp in the north but we managed a full circuit split over 2 days plus on another day we did the volcano at sunset.

go for it, its amazing.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Thanks for the recommendation regarding Mama's. All our accommodations have been reserved, but I'll definitely plan to have dinner there one evening. I have the vague feeling that I dined there before years and years ago.

I'm not actually going to go rent a speedster. While I still think the road to Hana in a speedster would be a blast. I have better ways to spend $300/day. That and what others are saying about roads/traffic are probably true. I'd be lucky to ever shift to 4th gear on the island. I'll just have to get my driving fix on the back roads and coastline of California... woe is me. I might swing by their HQ to take a couple of photos.

Any other recommendations of activities or dining locals in Maui are welcome. In addition to dining at Mama's, Sansei sushi is on the must do list. We'll be hiking, horseback riding, snorkling/scuba diving, and keeping pretty active.

The overall plan is 6 days in Maui and 5 in Kauai (mostly to hike the Na Pali coast). I realize this isn't anywhere enough time on either island, but it is the time that our schedules allow for.

Mahalo!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Keep going past Hana to Oheo Gulch, 7 pools. Even further down the road is a church, where Charles Lindbergh is buried. It is one of the most beautiful spots on this planet, don't drive too fast though, the turn off ( to the left as you leave 7 pools) is difficult to see and there are no signs, and no place to turn around for miles.

My ultimate dream is to one day re-new my vows to my wife at the church there with our kids present.

Despite what all the rental car companies will tell you, the road around the south IS passable, although some of it is dirt. Check with the rangers at 7pools, they can tell you the current condition of the road.

It is definitely a lonely road with little to no traffic. New pavement starts no too far around, it comes al the way around, if you time it right, the sunset view from the west side is spectacular.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just last summer, we drove on that road in a rental forester. About halfway to the pools, there's a little turnoff onto Keanae Road, if you like banana bread, you will find the best banana bread there at Aunty Sandy's. They do close early though so if you like banana bread, pick them up on the way there instead of on the way back. We got a little past the pool onto unpaved road and turned back.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
The overall plan is 6 days in Maui and 5 in Kauai (mostly to hike the Na Pali coast).
My wife and I have hiked the first section of this, to Hanakapiai Beach. I found it quite difficult: rooty, rocky, and slippery. Which was a surprise to us, after hiking in the Rockies.

We've hiked the Haleakala Crater in Maui several times, and it's very nice.

Here are a couple of guide books:

http://www.amazon.ca/Day-Hikes-Maui-Robert-Stone/dp/1573420395 http://www.amazon.ca/Day-Hikes-Maui-Robert-Stone/dp/1573420395

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Kauai-Garden-Robert-Smith/dp/0924308079 http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Kauai-Garden-Robert-Smith/dp/0924308079

Last edited by Rinty; 06-18-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply: OT: Speedsters in Paradise