Sponsored by:

How much more is a 96 worth versus 95?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 10:02 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've owned a 97 Carrera 2 as well as a trio of 95 Carrera 2 and 4 cars ... IMHO the difference between the two is fairly subtle, and, as stated above, the OBD2 issue is something to take into consideration, particularly since the fix is expensive and the "problem" does not affect drivability.

Try and drive both back to back and keep in mind that the 95 can be chipped easily and inexpensively. My Carrera 4 is a late build 95 and has the high-mounted stoplight, although the other two 95's I've owned had the basket handle, which I kind of liked (in the minority on that count, I suppose).

Vic
95 C4 (for sale)
Old 08-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

I chose a late MY '95 over a '96 or newer specifically to avoid the OBDII CEL issue, to make it easier to chip and to get the smoother lines of the roof spoiler third brake light.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:47 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 88clbsport
In talking to some '95 owners many were waiting until harness went bad and planned on getting other items fixed at the same time. The school of thought was that once the engine was pulled under warranty, maybe the shop would work with them on the labor price.
IMO, that's a dumb idea. Replacing the harness does NOT require pulling the engine. Belt replacement is about the only job that can be piggybacked. The consequences of a failed harness can be devastating, not to mention the risk of getting stranded at an inopportune place & time.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:51 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought waiting on the wiring harness seemed strange. Not to mention that if you wait "too" long PCNA might not honor it?
Old 08-06-2003, 07:40 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm with Dan on this one. Waiting to change the harness is really poor thinking. They DO NOT pull the motor to replace the harness, they simply remove the accessories, intake, etc... There are Zero oportunities to save money on labor for clutches, FWs, main seals, etc... here. They will only honor the recall as long as they have to. I would run, not walk, to the nearest Porsche dealer if I had a car that needed the upgrade. The risk is too great, and if they suspend the program, the cost is very high to do it on your own nickel.

Quick Reply: How much more is a 96 worth versus 95?