Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help with recommended repairs...clutch, oil leaks

Old 05-30-2014, 01:59 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

okay....they are quoting 4.6 hours for the upper gaskets. The lowers they are adding 1 hour since they are "already there" (just the lowers would be 4.3 hours if done alone). Total hours are 5.6 at 110/hour. Plus they are adding an oil change. The gasket set is 125. So total is 750 without tax and oil change. A mistake was made on the original estimate in which they added the 4.6 and 4.3 together....that's what threw me....phew!

I checked with the local Porsche dealer thinking they'd be much more expensive and they quoted 900 without the oil change not too much more to be honest.

Just be thankful you guys can do this stuff on your own. I would rather a professional take care of the car. But it IS frusterating that a computer gives them an hour estimate for a job and that's how its done. I believe you guys when you tell me it's not tough and can take less time. I know the books set a standard...which is nice. But ive seen other dealers/service depts. do the same thing for headlights etc..... Wow!
Old 05-31-2014, 12:29 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ The "book" thing can really bite. I took our Yukon to dealer for a recall repair of something with the front acc belt drive assy, do not remember what. They suggested that i change out the AC belt tensioner while they were in there, so i said sure. They charged me full pop to the tune of around $400 (actually $368, $97 part, inc oil change) for the repair even though they were there already. Burned me. I later had to replace it again, and it was literally a 30 min job. Hate dealer service.

Last edited by vincer77; 05-31-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Fact check
Old 06-03-2014, 10:16 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewjn
I would rather a professional take care of the car.
Yup, that is what my friend thought. This is what he ended up with after taking his car to an independent Porsche shop for a Porsche short shifter installation.

QUIZ: can anyone guess what the shop forgot to do?

BTW, the shop is highly regarded, well at least by some on the forum.

I guess if it doesn't fit, you get out the sawzall.

As found during the PPI for the next owner.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:51 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Yup, that is what my friend thought. This is what he ended up with after taking his car to an independent Porsche shop for a Porsche short shifter installation.

QUIZ: can anyone guess what the shop forgot to do?

BTW, the shop is highly regarded, well at least by some on the forum.

I guess if it doesn't fit, you get out the sawzall.

As found during the PPI for the next owner.
Wow, what shop was that?
Old 06-03-2014, 11:06 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Wow, what shop was that?
You're safe, not one in your area.

The point being made, I don't care what reputation a shop has, check the work performed when you get your car back.

This car belonged to a friend who did nothing more than apply the "Carrera" graphics to the sides of his car. All other work was performed by the dealer or independent shop (who installed his Bilstein struts and Porsche RS short shifter).

I was along to witness the PPI for the new owner and saw that ^ when the car was up on the lfit.

WTF and noticed that the whole shifter sat below the surface of the floor pan so low that the boot would not even fit and attach to the shifter box. That should now give you a hint as to what they forgot to do when they installed that shifter.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:25 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Quality of work can be spotty at any shop. I have found ancillary fasteners loose or missing. The under body cover for the tranny disappeared during servicing once. I always inspect the work, ideally when the car is still on the lift if one is used.
Andy
Old 06-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like when shops do a service that you have to remove all that under belly plastic and they don't put all the bolts back in. or you'll see grease on your door panels, steering wheel, etc......

-Jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with recommended repairs...clutch, oil leaks