Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow or flatbed - how to do it safely?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Tow or flatbed - how to do it safely?

Planning a long drive out of state with the 993.

If I ever had an issue - how are these cares safely towed or put on a flat bed since there are now tow hook attachment in the bumper like the new cars?

Plus many of our cars are ROW or lower - it seems a winch onto the A-arm would damage the bumper or body.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:29 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

There is a tow hook attachement on the front bumper underneath a plastic cover. It is located just off-center on the front bumper, towards the passenger side. In your tool sleeve, there should be a steel eyelet that screws into it for safe puling onto a flatbed.

A prepared flatbed driver should have some planks that he can add to aid in getting the car onto the flatbed if your car is lowered, though you could always keep some in your frunk if this is a concern
Old 05-27-2014, 07:02 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

+1.

There's also an attachment for the tow hook (screw-in) hidden under your rear license plate, if your front end is not accessible. Pics in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...o-you-use.html

You are very wise to look into this now, ie locate the tow hook in your toolkit, and figure out how to use it. You'll be glad you didn't figure this out in the rain on a dark night with tow truck operator who is inclined just to hook onto your a-arm and be done with it.

Also, if you have a C4 or C4S, check the owner's manual for special towing instructions due to the viscous coupling to front wheels. Flatbed is definitely preferable.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:05 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
If I ever had an issue - how are these cares safely towed or put on a flat bed since there are now tow hook attachment in the bumper like the new cars?
Porsche Towing Guide
Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I suggest downloading the Porsche Towing Guide at the link kindly provided by JasonAndreas, and putting a copy in your car, especially if you have AAA. After you show the tow driver the towing guide, he will have a better understanding of your expectations, I think he will take better care of your car.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Yep, there is a plug in the front bumper cover for the towhook.

Personally I wouldn't tow a car further than a mile, flatbed instead.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:32 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are ROW or lower you definitely need planks with a flatbed so remind the driver. Ask me how I know!

Quick Reply: Tow or flatbed - how to do it safely?