Check engine fan belt light is on

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 12:01 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine fan belt light is on

Leaving my dealer the other day the check engine fan belt light went on. Dealer looked at fan belt and said all was fine since it was late in he day and I needed to get out of there he felt it was the switch improperly behaving, he told me to watch engine temperature just in case. Drove home light stayed on temperature was fine.....
next day driving around and had same light on and then the central warning light would go on. Then they would both go off and there would be no warning lights at all, few minutes later both would go back on.....
sounds like to me an electrical problem with switches but what do i know ( not much !!!!)

Anyone had anything like this before???? Now i am paranoid and feeling the need to get it checked out prior to De at Putnam end of august.

thanks for any input or insight into this one

Regards
Old 08-05-2003, 12:34 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dennis
If your belt is not loose, most likely your fan belt roller is worn & needs to be replaced. The roller "rides" the belt so if the belt breaks the roller drops & switches on the warning light. Over time the roller literally wears away & trips the light. Robin has a DIY that shows the assembly. Replacement is an easy DIY or a relatively inexpensive shop repair.

P-car.com DIY re: Fan Roller

There are several detailed threads in the archives, but no search feature yet
Old 08-05-2003, 12:37 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Bring it back to the dealer; something ain't right. Might be something as simple as the belt sensor - might be an electrical problem (bad alternator).

I have a '95, so don't know aobut relation between the alternator belt sensor and the central warning system. Wouldn't surprise me if tehy're tied together.

Thought: no squeal when you blip the throttle at idle? That would be an indication the belt is loose.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:57 AM
Ian J
Intermediate

Get it to the dealer asap !

I had similar experience 3 weeks ago whilst running from Istanbul to London. Just before 0230 on the Sunday morning as I aws approaching Chalons en Champagne I had a series of warnings lights light up one after another. First the rear spoiler, then fan belt, then ABS etc etc As I extinguished the large warning light so the next warning light would pop up. Definantely not a good experience

10 minutes later I was dead at the side of the road with a failed alternator. Sleep in the car until dawn then ring the genderme after getting their number from a local farm........

Just to make matters worse that weekend was just before Bastille Day so the whole of France aws closed down ! had to abandon the car and return a week later via Eurostar and the SNCF
Old 08-05-2003, 08:02 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Relax ! These switches are not great, mine went @ 14K miles, replaced under warranty. As long as that is the only symptom, and the belt / roller are intact, of course ........ but a quick fix will give you PoM.

Cheers, Maurice
Old 08-05-2003, 11:29 PM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default thanks for the input

taking back to the dealer in the Am, appreciate the help and possible causes, will post the outcome, thanks to those who responded

Quick Reply: Check engine fan belt light is on