US M030 DROP LINK RIDE HEIGHT QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:41 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default US M030 DROP LINK RIDE HEIGHT QUESTION

Hi Guys

Wondering about switching Front Drop Links to the RS instead of the existing M030 that my car came with.

i willl attach a Pic but my car pic incase is also attached to my Profile.

I am asking because after reading a few posts I am getting confused about ride height. Has my car been Lowered?

My car had the M030 added by the dealer upon delivery.
I have installed Bilstein HD.

I am considering installing RS Front Drop Links - to start. Currently I have the M030 Drop Links. Can this be done without changing existing Geometry?

Will the addition of the RS Drop Link make the car Lower in the fron than it is now - same question just phrased differently, I guess?

Was my Car Lowered or is this the M030 ride height?
I kno0w u r lookin at a picture but I figure some of the masters here already know the answer.
Thanks for your assistance and insights in advance.

Lookin to make a few changes as I am now starting driving a few DE Events.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2014, 12:47 PM
TJ993
Banned

May not be the best pic for a close up but the car sits less than Two Fingers above the Tires now, will look for another photo.
Thanks TJ
Old 05-25-2014, 12:55 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

"Was my Car Lowered or is this the M030 ride height?"

Possibly both.

When you said M030 installed upon delivery was this recent delivery or when the car was new?

Your car is certainly lowered and hard to tell from a picture but it is close to ROW height. It does have a slight forward rake to it (at least looks that way to me in that pic) which some people prefer and do on purpose but originally Porsche set up all the ride heights the other way around where the front is actually a little higher than the rear.

Here is a link to where you can measure your ride height for yourself to the mm. and compare them to readily available charts to see what you are at. Credit BV.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ce-points.html
Old 05-25-2014, 01:05 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Does the attached help? Something I compiled. May have some minor errors but shows relationships of height for various set-ups. The shop manual shows where to measure ride height on the suspension (distance to the ground). All US cars have the same ride height so as long as you stay above the ROW lowered height the car can be aligned to Porsche specification and the drop links you have can most likely be used however there is some confusing information in the parts catalog two part numbers are specified for the standard suspension 993-333-073-01 & 02 and one 993-333-073-02 of the two is specified for both the M030 and the non M030 and Turbo in the USA & ROW parts catalog.
Attached Images
Old 05-25-2014, 01:15 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Why do you want to get RS front drop links? The links themselves do not effect ride height…they are nice to use with adjustable sway bars though.

If you change ride height you will need to do an alignment…and if never done to your knowledge on the car I would also do a corner balance at the same time.

If you are going to do DE's you may want to look at the condition of the suspension bushings, especially the front control arms and the motor mounts. Of course you are now officially on the slippery slope and will get lots of support considering new shocks, tires, full RS suspension, etc etc.

Here are the diagrams showing where to measure ride height and the chart for the factory settings.
Attached Images   
Old 05-25-2014, 01:16 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here are the measuring points to the ground
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2014, 01:17 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by il pirata
Why do you want to get RS front drop links? The links themselves do not effect ride height…they are nice to use with adjustable sway bars though.

If you change ride height you will need to do an alignment…and if never done to your knowledge on the car I would also do a corner balance at the same time.

If you are going to do DE's you may want to look at the condition of the suspension bushings, especially the front control arms and the motor mounts. Of course you are now officially on the slippery slope and will get lots of support considering new shocks, tires, full RS suspension, etc etc.

Here are the diagrams showing where to measure ride height and the chart for the factory settings.
Nice!
Old 05-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are definitely not at US M030 ride height...
Old 05-25-2014, 02:52 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
You are definitely not at US M030 ride height...
Yup, looks even lower than ROW to me.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:10 PM
TJ993
Banned

Default US M030 Ride Height Drop Links question

[My car had Sport Chassis installed at the Dealer upon Delivery. I am calling this Option M030. I like the look. Actually I believe the car sits slightly higher in the front than the rear
QUOTE=JB 911;11393088]"Was my Car Lowered or is
this the M030 ride height?"

Possibly both.

When you said M030 installed upon delivery was this recent delivery or when the car was new?

Your car is certainly lowered and hard to tell from a picture but it is close to ROW height. It does have a slight forward rake to it (at least looks that way to me in that pic) which some people prefer and do on purpose but originally Porsche set up all the ride heights the other way around where the front is actually a little higher than the rear.

Here is a link to where you can measure your ride height for yourself to the mm. and compare them to readily available charts to see what you are at. Credit BV.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ce-points.html[/QUOTE]
Old 05-25-2014, 10:15 PM
TJ993
Banned

YES THE Car was Delivered New with Sport Chassis.

I am calling it M030 - not certain that is correct to use the Term M030?

She has the larger Sway Bars and M030 Drop Links etc Front and Rear. I believe this was a Package Deal wherein Dealers sold Upgrade Packages with Wheels etc etc

I have the Paperwork from the Delivery as well.

Originally Posted by JB 911
"Was my Car Lowered or is this the M030 ride height?"

Possibly both.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ce-points.html
Old 05-25-2014, 10:32 PM
TJ993
Banned

Yes - I have M030 Springs Orange and Blue Rears
NOW i CAN MEASURE - Cool Thank You.

Originally Posted by pp000830
Does the attached help? Something I compiled. May have some minor errors but shows relationships of height for various set-ups. The shop manual shows where to measure ride height on the suspension (distance to the ground). All US cars have the same ride height so as long as you stay above the ROW lowered height the car can be aligned to Porsche specification and the drop links you have can most likely be used however there is some confusing information in the parts catalog two part numbers are specified for the standard suspension 993-333-073-01 & 02 and one 993-333-073-02 of the two is specified for both the M030 and the non M030 and Turbo in the USA & ROW parts catalog.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:41 PM
TJ993
Banned

Hi Bob

Thank Yoiu for thre info.

Yes I realize I am entering and have experienced the Slope just with Maintenance to date.

I do have the M030 - Sport Chassis and Springs.
I have installed the Bilstein HD struts and my ride height remained at the height when I bought the car from the original owner.

Just thinking why not upgrade to the RS Drop Links?

I read they are beefier - so perhaps more durable and They Cost Less.

As u said "the RS Links do not change Ride Height" than it seems to me that installing the RS Drop Links is the way to go.

Now would the RS Links affect Ride Quality?
The Bilstein HD struts are a Firm Ride - But its Good.
I like the ride except on the Bumpiest Roads.

I prefer to avoid the Allignment atleast initially just so I can get some seat time.

The motor would appreciate No Red Lights - Time to blow the Carbon Out.
I do not care for the stock Gearing Either FYI
Slippery U Bet - Kinda Scary actually.

Originally Posted by il pirata

Old 05-25-2014, 10:41 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Calling it M030 is fine but there is a little confusion as there is US M030 (yours) and ROW M030 (lower) The good news for you is yours got all the other M030 goodies like the sway bars etc, but the US M030 springs that determine the ride height while stiffer where taller than the ROW M030 springs.

That said your springs have obviously been changed, as your car is obviously sitting lower than stock US height. If you are lucky, a PO put ROW M030 springs in there for you. If you post a pic of the springs, someone can probably ID them for you. Either way, you are in really good shape. Suspensions are one of the most subjective variables in the car, and if you ask 10 rennlisters you'd probably get at least 8 different answers but my opinion is for an all round tourer/ occasional DE car/ fun 20 year old sports car, Porsche got it absolutely right with the ROW M030 package at ROW sport height.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:48 PM
TJ993
Banned

Here are the Rear Sway Bushings after 133,000 Miles.
The Outer edge, last pic says they were due for a change.
Attached Images    

Last edited by TJ993; 05-25-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add pics

Quick Reply: US M030 DROP LINK RIDE HEIGHT QUESTION