Sponsored by:

hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:05 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard shifting

i noticed at a DE that after a few runs that it became difficult to shift from third to 4th gear. luckily my mechanic was there to help me with this problem. he suggested i change the gearbox oil - so i brought the car to his shop and had the gearbox oil replaced with a brand from swepco. its been ok so far - but i really havent driven it that hard yet !
anybody else have this problem ?
next step he said if this does not help and it gets worse that i may need a tranny rebuiuld - well i hope not! my car has only 26,000 miles on it !
any experience with this- he also mentioned this problem is not unheard of in car yrs 95 to early 97.
thanks
v-tach
1997 993
Old 08-04-2003, 11:13 PM
Mark97c2
Intermediate

26k is about the right time to change tranny oil, you should be surprised in the difference once it's done.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:58 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a bit of a sticky 1-2 until I replaced my engine mounts with the RS version. It was only noticeable under lateral acceleration, and a trans fluid change didn't make any difference. I also have the RS short shift kit ready to install... just need to make the time!

Mark.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:19 AM
Sputnik
Racer

Just like I mentioned at "Blipping" post I do have not exactly difficult...I would say "not the perfectly smooth" shifting problems. The tranny oil was changed less than 2000 miles ago. I believe the problem would go away if I would tighten the bolts which hold the tranny box in place...any DIY on this delicate topic?....i mean how to find the tranny holding bolts and which tools to use and etc...it would be great contribution to p-cars.com!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 12:36 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sputnik - If you take off the plastic tray in front of the rear wheels (maybe 8 screws all the way across) just above the crossmember you will see the sort of u shaped tranny mount. I thought I would check mine with all this talk of tightening those things and I could not even get mine to budge. Oh well -

Quick Reply: hard shifting