993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Car seats for 1-4yr olds

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:51 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Squidge I just meant on your 17 month old. If you have read up I wholly concur everyone makes their own choices and strictly speaking the safest choice for munchkins isn't a 993. I accept that as I'm guessing as do you. So we all take some risk. All I meant was to share that site. Beyond that I support everyone making their own informed choices.

I also have the luxury of having a relatively small 10 year old. My moose of a nephew at the same age probably couldn't fit in the back of a 993 at all, let alone in a booster.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:23 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by squidge
I have a seven year old and a 17-month old. The 17-month old is front-facing in a Clek Fllo. Early, I know, but it's very secure and she rides in the car very infrequently. She'll be two soon enough and can ride more often then.
Did you try the Clek Fllo in the 993? I can't test out seats until I ditch the half-cage later this winter...I figured the Fllo would fit since it's so narrow

Old 01-17-2017, 04:44 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

Yep, the Fllo fits nicely in the 993 if you remove one of the rear seatbacks, which is easy enough. The factory seat belt is *barely* long enough to pass through the seat and buckle, but it does. A short seat belt extender would make your life easier there.

I'll add photos of the Fllo when I report back about the Incognito booster. I have a Fllo in the V70 as well and really like it. It's a lot nicer than the Britax/Graco-type stuff.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:30 PM
K2skier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone ever used a Britax Frontier 90 (or two) in the back of their 993?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:59 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Yep, the Fllo fits nicely in the 993 if you remove one of the rear seatbacks, which is easy enough. The factory seat belt is *barely* long enough to pass through the seat and buckle, but it does. A short seat belt extender would make your life easier there.

I'll add photos of the Fllo when I report back about the Incognito booster. I have a Fllo in the V70 as well and really like it. It's a lot nicer than the Britax/Graco-type stuff.
Look forward to seeing this. I have a fllo and never thought it would fit.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
My daughter needs a booster, and my son is still in a forward facing 5-point. I tried a couple of different models, and have yet to find a model that can fit the tiny back seats in my 993. The semi-circular shape of the rear of the seating surface is what keeps causing issues with the seats I've tried.

Very interested to see what you guys come up with!
Check out my post here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post12093170
Old 01-18-2017, 12:27 AM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Knight
Sounds like _snowbird_ has two kids, like me, so a solution that uses both seat belt receivers for one kid won't work.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 AM
Knight
Drifting

Sounds like _snowbird_ has two kids, like me, so a solution that uses both seat belt receivers for one kid won't work.
Ah yes you guys are probably stuck on that part. 2 seats in the back of the 993, def keep us posted if you find a solution.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:43 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

I'd be totally happy taking 1 kid for a ride at a time.

Knight - the thing I couldn't understand from your post is how you used the latch mounts. I see you replaced the one buckle (on the tunnel) with a latch mount, but what did you do on the other side (the side with the belt)? Did you install another latch mount there too?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:10 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome! We have a Clek for our 19mo, and his little sister has another one lined up when she's a little bigger. Agreed, amazing build quality with these seats. Also really thoughtful/purposeful design ~ it's proper! Never had an issue! Good news that it will fit!

Thank you Squidge!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:23 PM
Knight
Drifting

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
I'd be totally happy taking 1 kid for a ride at a time.

Knight - the thing I couldn't understand from your post is how you used the latch mounts. I see you replaced the one buckle (on the tunnel) with a latch mount, but what did you do on the other side (the side with the belt)? Did you install another latch mount there too?
I have a latch installed on the other side too, along with the belt.

http://www.rennline.com/Harness-Moun...ductinfo/SA03/
Old 01-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Aircooled Dave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through this a few years ago with my kids, both of whom still enjoy rides in the Porsche. While the 993 is clearly no minivan, you can fit child car seats in there if needed and if your kids are anything like mine, they’ll love it. I’m not going to go all preacher mode here, but clearly driving your kids around in a 20yr old car has some inherent risks. However, that doesn’t prevent you from making it as safe as possible – the trick is making the seat as secure as possible.

From my experience, boosters are easier and cheaper to find/fit, but a convertible rear facing seat is possible. Due to the tapered rear seat geometry, many car seats will not fit well so it will take some trial and error to find something that works. All I can say is save your receipts and be prepared for some exchanges. To further complicate matters, the car seat manufacturers are constantly updating their designs as well so a Britax from 3 years ago may have fit just fine at that time, but the current model won’t. This makes any recommendations tricky as these things are always changing and you shouldn’t be fitting 8yr old car seats as a safety device.

The key to making this work is finding something that fits with the dual taper. That applies to both the booster and child seat. Ideally, you need a seat that tapers towards the rear and is somewhat narrow to accommodate the sloped sides. Thankfully, those seats do exist, but you do have to search for them.

The following recommendations are critical to properly secure a car seat in a 993.

1. Use Rennline seat hooks to secure the base – the standard belt tensioner is difficult to get set properly. There are devices to help shorten them, but the Rennline hook setup works really well with the latch type belt mechanisms that come with many car seats. This allows you to fully tighten the car seat base without any concern. It also makes removal and reinstallation (which you will be doing) a lot easier.
2. Install the parcel shelf upper latch – the 993 came with this feature for Canadian models, but US are lacking it. However, it is fairly easy to retrofit and the parts are readily available. I used some parts from an Audi and they fit just fine. The holes are already threaded in the shelf, just need to bolt in the new parts, add a cutout in the parcel shelf (just follow the embossed outline) and add some covers when not in use. Once installed, this allows you to use an upper tether which makes a huge improvement in your ability to properly secure the seat.

Parts List:
(2) Rear Parcel Shelf Cover (Blk) – Porsche 911.555.627.00.01C
(2) M8x20 Bolt – Audi N 010 240 22
(2) Anchor Bracket – Audi 443 887 269
(2) Bolt Spacer – Audi 810 019 829
(2) Seat Hooks – Rennline SA03 http://www.rennline.com/Harness-Moun...ductinfo/SA03/

Useful link
http://members.rennlist.com/movies1/Child_Seat.html

Good luck!
Attached Images     
Old 01-18-2017, 10:36 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Knight
I have a latch installed on the other side too, along with the belt.

http://www.rennline.com/Harness-Moun...ductinfo/SA03/
Ahhh, ok! Got it. Thanks Knight!
Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Really good info on adding LATCH, thanks!

So the Incognito booster was a total fail -- it's seriously gigantic. Like adult sized. It overhangs by about six inches and doesn't fit width-wise either. I'm going to put my son in without a booster and see if he passes the five point test. It's such a small seat, and he's big enough, I think he might be fine without one.

With the Fllo, there's maybe three inches between her seat and mine. I'm 6'1" and sit slightly further forward than I'd prefer, but not by much. Her feet rest on the back of my seat, so I usually take off her shoes.
Attached Images    
Old 01-19-2017, 06:29 PM
K2skier
Track Day

Has anyone tried these (not affiliated, but looking for options that will work for 2)?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95504480591.html

EDIT: or the new Maxi-CosiRodiFix - http://www.maxi-cosi.com/us-en/car-seats/rodifix.aspx

Last edited by K2skier; 01-21-2017 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 993 Car seats for 1-4yr olds