Sponsored by:

Going heaterless in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Going heaterless in SoCal

Living in SoCal commuting in my daily driver I almost never use the heater, the defroster occasionally - maybe once or twice a year.

I can't remember if I ever used the heater or defroster in my old 964; it barely worked anyway with the engine blower removed.

A/C is another issue being on all the time in my daily driver.

Anyway, I bought a set of stock headers without the heat exchangers (like 993 Supercup), and have decided to go heaterless but with air conditioning still working.

I plan to put screens or filters over the heat inlets in the chassis to allow air to be drawn in if defroster or heater is on FWIW.

Anyone else done this, any caveats as far as CCU operation, fumes in cockpit or whatever?

I weighed the components of the cast aluminum tube, stainless tubes, silicon tubing, bypass valves etc. and this comes to almost 15 pounds. The headers alone save another 10 pounds for a total of almost 25 pounds, almost approaching the mass of A/C surprisingly and all this is mass aft of the CG unlike A/C.

The other advantage is the car will be really clean underneath with just headers and no heater pipes at all. The engine shroud will simply have a block off plate at the heater pipe take off (like RSR does) with a tube coming from it going to the distributor.

Comments?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a/c and heater blower unit left the back of my car last night. I wish I could go heaterless but living up north it just cant happen. I wish I could drop the added weight soo much. Sounds like a good idea for a southern car. enjoy the weight loss
Old 05-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Sounds like a great project!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:46 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run mine open (headers without heat etc) and have noticed if I am idling or in slower traffic i notice the smell of fumes in the cabin. I am going to block mine off completely to see if it stops. If it creates problems with the CCu operation I will post.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

A thought I had is to also remove the muffler tubes in the rocker sections that carry the heated air forward in the chassis for even more weight loss.

One could then block off the openings at the rear and set up the system to recirculate cabin air in heater mode by removing the hoses at the footwell that go to the heater flap valves.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:58 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I've had no problems or exhaust fumes. front fans still blow tons of air from the front intake.
the rear tubes going into the body are covered with canvas
my cheapo scale showed a total weight loss of 19.6lbs.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:58 PM
lopro
Banned

since were on the topic, question as per heat removal,

There is a 4 way vac tube that came off my rear blower assembly
one of the tubes has no where to go do I just cap this off?

any ideas..?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Why do I freeze every time I'm in SoCal? It's like 50 at night. I need heat for that...
Old 05-14-2014, 08:38 PM
lopro
Banned

its because the sun on your skin in the daytime makes you warm and ya feel cold at night when its not there
Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Living in SoCal commuting in my daily driver I almost never use the heater, the defroster occasionally - maybe once or twice a year.

I can't remember if I ever used the heater or defroster in my old 964; it barely worked anyway with the engine blower removed.

A/C is another issue being on all the time in my daily driver.

Anyway, I bought a set of stock headers without the heat exchangers (like 993 Supercup), and have decided to go heaterless but with air conditioning still working.

I plan to put screens or filters over the heat inlets in the chassis to allow air to be drawn in if defroster or heater is on FWIW.

Anyone else done this, any caveats as far as CCU operation, fumes in cockpit or whatever?

I weighed the components of the cast aluminum tube, stainless tubes, silicon tubing, bypass valves etc. and this comes to almost 15 pounds. The headers alone save another 10 pounds for a total of almost 25 pounds, almost approaching the mass of A/C surprisingly and all this is mass aft of the CG unlike A/C.

The other advantage is the car will be really clean underneath with just headers and no heater pipes at all. The engine shroud will simply have a block off plate at the heater pipe take off (like RSR does) with a tube coming from it going to the distributor.

Comments?
I ditched my heater a couple years back in favor of the RS bypass. Love it. We jumped the dash blower so I have forced air if I ever need defrost or just more hot...never have I wouldn't hesitate to say do it.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 307 Posts

Did it years ago.
Love it.

Kevin
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2014, 01:16 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd do a RS bypass or something. I really haven't used heat in a long time, in either of the 911's, but found that on several occasions making runs up Palomar or Mesa Grande in early morning-defrost is mandatory if the marine layer extends to the east.

Quick Reply: Going heaterless in SoCal