993 Forum 1995-1998

CR/CDR-210 steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:03 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CR/CDR-210 steering wheel controls

I am still in the process of editing this. It will be complete when there is no more red text.

Introduction:
This DIY is for using a tiptronic steering wheel to control the volume and track rocker buttons on either a CR-210 and a CDR-210. This DIY will also allow you to add additional functions by pressing certain buttons simultaneously. I will show you how to change the input source by pressing volume up and track up simultaneously.

See the bottom of this post for the theory behind it.

Dificulty on a scale from 1 to 10: 8

Tools:
Radio removal tools (make sure you have the radio code)
A good soldering iron and solder
Soldering hobby station
Heat gun
Knife
Philips screwdriver
Torx 08 driver
Torx 30 driver must be longer than a couple inches (I used a 4mm ball hex wrench)
24mm socket
Thick double sided tape

Materials:
-Porsche stuff (about $110)
1. tiptronic steering wheel ($80)
2. tiptronic clock spring (can be a 996 part number) ($30)
-From Digikey (all for $15)
4. LM3914
5. LTV-846
6. A9AAT-0608E
I recommend purchasing double parts from digikey in case you break anything. They are cheap enough and the only parts that need to be shipped.
-From Radio Shack (all for $40)
7. Pack of 500 resistors
8. Hookup wire
9. Small solder board
10. Small project box
11. Transistor
12. Multipack black shrink wrap
13. 18 pin retention socket
14. 20 pin retention socket
-From Lowes
15. Ethernet cable(3ft)
16. Ethernet female to female adapter

Procedure:

1)Remove radio
1.1 Remove the faceplate from your radio
1.2 Place the radio removal tools into the slots at the bottom corners of the radio with the curved sides facing each other
1.3 Once the tools catch, pull on the tools to pull the radio out.
1.4 Remove all electrical connections on the back

2)Remove steering wheel
2.1 Ensure that the key is removed from the ignition switch. If you are really concerned about the airbag remove the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes. However I have never found this to be necessary.
2.2 Locate the 2 holes on the opposite side of the steering wheel at approximately 3 and 9 o'clock.
2.3 Use your T30 driver or bit (or 4mm hex) to unscrew the screws in each of the holes.
2.4 The airbag can now be removed, unfasten the electrical connector on the back of it and store the airbag with the metal part down.
2.5 Unfasten all other electrical connections within the steering wheel, there should be two.
2.6 Ensure your steering wheel is straight and use your 24mm socket to remove the steering column bolt and washer.
2.7 Pull the steering wheel off of the steering column.
2.8 Using your philips screwdriver, remove the screws attaching the clock spring to the column.
2.9 Pull the clock spring away and unhook the two electrical connectors going into the dash.

3)Make your computer board
-There are 4 inputs:
V+
V-
Steering wheel in
Steering wheel out
-There are 8 outputs
Vol common
Vol up
Vol dn
Track common
Track up
Track dn
Extra (source) in
Extra (source) out

Here is a wiring schematic. I will add more pictures and description later.

4)Modify your radio
4.1 Take the faceplate and use the T8 driver to to remove the screws on the back.
4.2 Separate the sides of the faceplate to get to the computer board inside.
4.3 Take your tape and place a small strip near the smaller of the two intergrated circuits (ICs) as seen in the picture.
4.4 Take the flex-flat cable and bend the last tab 90 degrees to the side.
4.5 Solder that tab to a small wire to connect to another part of the board.
4.6 Place the flex-flat cable on the double sided tape as shown in the picture, trimming the tabs as needed.

4.7 Solder the first 5 tabs to the first 5 contacts on the IC. being careful not to overheat the IC and to not bridge contacts.
4.8 Solder the wire from the last tab to the resistor shown in the picture.
4.9 Take the back of the faceplate and line it up with the flex-flat cable.
4.10 Use your knife to cut in the faceplate back in order to thread the cable through it.
4.11Thread the cable through the new slit and assemble the faceplate.
4.12 Remove the front panel of the radio by removing the metal top of the radio (secured by friction, just pull the edges) and the two T8 screws near the top front of the radio. Wiggle the front panel off.
4.13 Similarally steps 4.9 and 4.10 cut a slit in the front panel of the radio and thread the cable through it.

4.14 On the front panel of the radio look at the computer board and find the IC on the lower right.
4.15 Take two wires and solder them to the IC connections shown in the picture.

This picture needs be updated. The actual solder point are on the IC. The points in the picture will work but are not preferred. The ones you want is the one on the right with the lump of solder on it and the one on the left near the top that has no trace coming from it.

4.16 Remove the 6 or 7 T8 screws on the top of the back of the radio and remove the metal peice that the screws were securing.
4.17 Take your ethernet cable and cut it half.
4.18 Using a hole on the back of the metal peice you just removed(you may need to drill out the hole bigger), thread the wire through the radio to the open space next to the cassette unit.
4.19 Connect the 8 strands of wire within the ethernet cable to the 6 tabs on the flexflat cable and the 2 wires coming from the front panel. Use heatshrink to insulate each connection.
Color cordination to come later
4.20 Tuck everything into the void next to the cassette unit an endure nothing is touching without insulation.
4.21 Screw in the two screws on the front of the radio and replace the metal top.

5)Modify your steering wheel
5.1 Take your tiptronic steering wheel and carefully remove the tiptronic button faces.
5.2 Remove the switch with the approperate screwdriver(T8 or philips)
5.3 Cut away the heat shrink and remove the purple connectors and the end of the wires.
5.4 Cut each of the wires and splice in the approperate resistor.
Resistor values to come later
5.5 Heat shrink each individual wire and then heat shrink them together.
5.6 There will be one extra piece of wire that goes to a ground, it can be discarded. you want to keep the piece of wire that had a three prong female connector.
5.7 Combine all colored wires from each switch and the connector (5).
5.8 Combine all balck wires (3).
5.9 Tuck all the wires into their approperate channels.

6)Put everything back together
6.1 Install your new clock spring using the reverse process of removal. Ensure you are connecting the airbag to the correct plug as well as the horn plug.
6.2 The remaining plug on the clock spring can be clipped off and you will connect (using solder) about 3 feet of lead wire.
6.3 With the clock spring installed install the new steering wheel in the reverse of removal remembering to connect your extra plug.
6.4 Connect the wire from your clock spring to the steering wheel in and steering wheel out on your electronics box. It doesn't matter which wire is which.
6.5 Take the V+ and V- wires from your electronics box and connect the to the plug of your radio as shown.

6.6 Connect the eithernet cord from your electronics box to the ethernet cord from your radio using your female to female connector.
6.7 Plug the rest of the electrical connections into the back of the radio.
6.8 Tuck in your electronics box as low as possible in the dash to not interfere with placing the radio in.
6.9 Place the radio in until you feel both sides catch.
6.10 You're done.

What is going on with this setup is that each button on the steering wheel send a specific resistance to the chip (LM3914). The chip detects this resistance via the voltage drop in the wire and depending on the voltage will open up one of 10 switches and power an LED. The LTV-846 has an LED in it which the light from will open the base of the transistor and allow current to flow through the leads. The other ends of the leads connect to the faceplate on the radio and to the contacts of the physical buttons themselves. Because of this hard wired solution, you will not be able to fully remove your faceplate. You will have more than enough room to use radio removal tools but it will forever be tethered to the radio.

Due to limits with the clock spring (only adding 2 more wires to the steering wheel) and the chip that buttons connect to on the faceplate PCB (it uses I2C databus) I have determined that this is the easiest way to accomplish the task.

This allows me to use vol up, vol down, track up, and track down from the steering wheel. I also made it so that pressing vol up and track up simultaneously will switch the audio source.

If there is any interest in a full DIY given the complexity of parts needed, let me know. I posted a DIY on an aux input for the stock cassette decks (which seems a lot more useful and much easier) but it didn't seem like anyone tried it out so I am hesitant to write up a DIY that no one will try. Perhaps this is just a proof of concept.

Info on the electrials board can be found here
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/t...-radio.140501/

IT CAN BE DONE!!!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone actually wants to try the DIY please PM me or bump the thread up. Otherwise, I'm kinda wondering whats the use in finishing it up.

Last edited by therossinator; 05-21-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:55 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Nice write up. Moderators heads up.

The effort is deserving of a Pcarworkshop.com inclusion.

Quick Reply: CR/CDR-210 steering wheel controls