Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Mini Cooper or New Beetle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 05:27 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Way to go, Bob. You made the right decision for getting the tiptronic Beetle, as CVT is not available in Cooper S.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:29 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Surj-993C2S
Be careful about the cvt - its fuel consumption is as low as 13mpg - something that BMW dont/wont tell you!

Caused a bit of a stir here in the UK, but the sotry was simply quashed by the media and the BMW press machine. But some journos still grumble about it..

As for us, we're getting a manual Cooper next month - so that answers your question!
I have a CVT Mini Cooper since June 2002. I can wholeheartedly endorse it.
It is fun to drive, full of style and feels very solid.

I wouldn't agree with the above comment. Although I feel that the mileage should be better with such a small car/engine I generally avg. 22 mpg. city and 32 mpg. highway.

The only negative about this car is the low end torque (not much at all) and the lag there is between giving it gas and takeoff. You get used to this though and I don't mind it too much. Once you are at speed, 30+ mph., the pickup is pretty good and it can reach 90 mph with ease.

Good luck and PM me if you have any further questions.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:34 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Surj-993C2S
Be careful about the cvt - its fuel consumption is as low as 13mpg - something that BMW dont/wont tell you!

Caused a bit of a stir here in the UK, but the sotry was simply quashed by the media and the BMW press machine. But some journos still grumble about it..

As for us, we're getting a manual Cooper next month - so that answers your question!
I have a CVT Mini Cooper since June 2002. I can wholeheartedly endorse it.
It is fun to drive, full of style and feels very solid.

I wouldn't agree with the above comment. Although I feel that the mileage should be better with such a small car/engine I generally avg. 22 mpg. city and 32 mpg. highway.

The only negative about this car is the low end torque (not much at all) and the lag there is between giving it gas and takeoff. You get used to this though and I don't mind it too much. Once you are at speed, 30+ mph., the pickup is pretty good and it can reach 90 mph with ease.

Good luck and PM me if you have any further questions.

Quick Reply: OT: Mini Cooper or New Beetle?