Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 AM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default targa wind deflector issue

Hi,

EDITED: New pic.

I have wind noise coming from the deflector, I decided to take it off and take a look at it. Something is wrong on the driver side where the bracket is attached (glued?) to the glass. I have attached a pic to this post, one can clearly see the difference between the 2 brackets. wondering how it happened, a failed attempt by a previous owner to fix it, it almost seems like someone glued it (badly). Any ideas how to fix this?

thanks,
Arthur
Attached Images  

Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 05-13-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 AM
jerbroo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trying to see how you took it off. Mine has two bolts on either bracket. It's hard to tell what I am looking at.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine is more consistent between the sides. Regardless, you should be able to adjust things to get rid of the noise. Have you tried the following?

If coming from the front of the deflector where it hits the main seal between the roof and windshield frame:

1) Add shims between where the deflector mounts to the brackets to push the deflector closer to that seal
If the noise is coming from where the deflector meets the sliding glass roof:

1) Adjusting the overall height of the sliding roof
2) Fine tune with the adjustments on the deflector itself (you can see the adjustment nut in the top pic)

If you're ever close to the Sacramento area, I'd be happy to take a look.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:01 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

The adjustment nut cannot go any lower (tighter) and still wind noise. I guess due to this defect on the wind deflector the left (driver) side is up to high therefore the deflector is not closing properly.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:24 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TargaTuur69
The adjustment nut cannot go any lower (tighter) and still wind noise. I guess due to this defect on the wind deflector the left (driver) side is up to high therefore the deflector is not closing properly.
Understood. Luckily, there is another way to address this, just raise the level of the entire sliding roof. It involves loosening 6 bolts instead of 2, but is doable without any disassembly. This also gives you a chance to make sure the bolts are properly torqued (see the TSB on pcarworkshop.com if you haven't already).

If my car is any indicator, the bolts can loosen up, the roof can drop 1-2mm and cause noise. Simple fix to loosen the bolts, push up on the roof until flush and re-tighten to proper spec.

In fact, if the roof is level with the rear glass already, you may not even need to loosen the rear bolts, only the front. If you extend the sunblind roughly 1/2 way, you can see the bolts (mine are allens) under the sunshade track.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:38 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Not sure if this helps, but here are some pics of mine. Mine definitely has more glue on the driver side. Pic one is of the glue. Pic 2 shows how the deflector meets the roof panel. Note how the deflector is ~1mm higher than the roof - also referenced in the TSBs on the Targa.

In my experience, when adjusted this way the roof is extremely quiet.
Attached Images   
Old 05-15-2014, 10:35 AM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I am going to raise the roof section a bit.

Quick Reply: targa wind deflector issue