993 Purchase Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:42 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Ultrasport
Unfortunately, the seller won't let the car leave Monterey. I think Porsche of Monterey is my only other option. May see how much a compression/leakdown runs there. Sure it isn't cheap! If anybody knows any place else, please let me know. The $1100 quote was from C&C.
Mohr is famous for not letting a car leave Monterey because they know there is no competent air-cooled Porsche shops near there.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Gee, I wonder if C&C gets any repair business from Mohr.....
Old 05-14-2014, 11:09 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

$1100 is a total ripoff!! PPIs with comp/leakdown are usually 4-500 range.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:40 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

Given the issues you describe, impending clutch and being re-painted, I'd walk away from $33K, especially with the absurd price quoted for the comp/leakdown test. Before you know it, you'll have $40K in the car and never get it back. BTW, it depends on when the clear bra was put on. If the paint had good adherence and was allowed to "cure" a reasonable amount of time before the clear bra was applied, then yes, it should come off. Incidentally, there were a number of '95s with leaky cases. Most were replaced under warranty. Perhaps this is one that got away.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It looks like the suspension didn't come up on the PPI at all. Has it been refreshed already or is it still running on OEM struts? If is on OEM suspension expect it to need a suspension overhaul sooner than later. The control arm bushing wear down and age. Depending upon what suspension you choose to install and whether you do the install or pay someone to do it, you are looking at somewhere between $2000-5000 for new street-oriented suspension (more if you start going towards the RS spec).

I got my '95 w/ 160k miles (few repair records, but no records/evidence of accidents) w/ shot suspension, leaky valve covers, a rattle in the steering, worn brakes (pads and rotors), and various small fix-it's, for $27k after my PPI. The engine is strong and the clutch had been replaced. Mohr knows the car somewhat because they did an appraisal for me on it for $29k. I purchases from a private party, however.

Trust your gut and what you know about your financial situation. Certainly the price you pay for the car is your starting investment with numerous repair costs to follow, unless you buy a sorted car with records from the start. That said someone on Rennlist recently had a '95 C2 coupe in very well sorted condition listed for $35k. I think $33k is asking too much given the unknowns and state of neglect. The 993 market is hot right now and I'm sure Mohr is happy to wait for a sucker with lots of cash-on-hand to come by.

Last edited by Spyder_Man; 05-14-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-14-2014, 02:04 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Hello all, I am new to Rennlist. I currently own an 89 Carrera. I am considering a 993 here in Cali. There are two online that have caught my interest. Both are 1997's a Silver 56K and a Red 85K both in So.Cal. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks and http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71989985&Log=0
Sorry about the long paste of internet sites. Does anyone know these cars or have an opinion? Thanks in Advance. RRC715
Old 05-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by rrc715
Hello all, I am new to Rennlist. I currently own an 89 Carrera. I am considering a 993 here in Cali. There are two online that have caught my interest. Both are 1997's a Silver 56K and a Red 85K both in So.Cal. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks and http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71989985&Log=0
Sorry about the long paste of internet sites. Does anyone know these cars or have an opinion? Thanks in Advance. RRC715
someone recently posted the Silver one here for discussion...not much was said about it. That euro front bumper cover has a weird deflection in the center panel, and non-oem filler behind it. Those wheels WERE beautiful at one time...unless the pictures are playing tricks, at least two look in need of complete restoration. The stock airbox is cut to pieces also. Can't believe it's worth that kinda money, in current condition.

The red one has a nice stance(as does the Silver one), and more details would be needed on the extensive recent work-engine, clutch, etc. Again, can't believe it's worth that kinda money with that mileage.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:30 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first glance the Auto trader car (red Carrera) looks like a fair deal. Maintiance, records ect. Have you seen it yet?, talked to the seller?
Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM
pcarhiway
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Ultrasport
Unfortunately, the seller won't let the car leave Monterey. I think Porsche of Monterey is my only other option. May see how much a compression/leakdown runs there. Sure it isn't cheap! If anybody knows any place else, please let me know. The $1100 quote was from C&C.
Would run, not walk away from this "deal". Ridiculous on all counts to even consider this car.

Having seen the shop and the cars there I would definitely look somewhere else.

You will be upside down financially on this car forever ....
Old 05-14-2014, 05:19 PM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

In my opinion, I would do what Del Shannon sang - "Runaway". Not nearly good enough for the price being asked. But, that's me, and I am not afraid to spend maintenance money on my 993.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:26 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
He stated it is coming out of the tailpipes-that will not be valve cover gaskets, and certainly isn't normal. Cars that sit for extended periods (2 weeks?) can exhibit such as oil may seep into the combustion chamber over the period, but then again, it can be something else more serious.
True, but he also stated it was white smoke. If it's white, it's just water vapor. I had huge white puff one day after some funky temperature changes (from 20s to 50s). Then i read that it happens once in a while. Blueish smoke is another story.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I've found people have trouble id'ing smoke color. I'd wonder why there would be significant water vapor.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Okay so you live in Minnesota, correct, and this is your first Porsche.

First pass on the Monterey car.

Flying out to see cars before a Rennfax/PPI is very expensive. You should develop a list of questions that are important to you, so when you see a car you are interested in comes up you can call the seller and email the list. If the seller will not answer the questions in writing you should pass. Yea you are going to miss out on some cars with the way the market is but unless you are both well connected and have good to very good knowledge about the 993 you cannot afford to wing it. If you cannot get a good recommendation here for a shop to do the PPI that is local to where the car is located pass on the car.

If you get pass a discussion with the seller and your questions are answered and you have a recommended local shop you can make an offer with LITTLE or NO deposit subject to a PPI like Ed said. If the seller will not accept this pass.

I would invest in a PCA membership for someone looking for a Porsche. More likely to find cars for sell by owner which is usually better.

Be willing to wait for the right car…and ready to move fast when it shows up.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

I offered $38k to the dealer in Hollywood with the Guards Red car. I said told them with a good PPI I might be able to go more. But they said I was to far off. I think it was a solid offer. BTW, what wheels are those on the car? I think they look terrible. First thing I would do is chuck them.

Last edited by 911F1; 05-14-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: more to say
Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Those wheels look like crud. I'm really sorry to see this feverish market on these cars. It is ludicrous.

Seeing the fact that there appears to be buyers who seem uneducated, ready to jump on in to marginal (often) cars at pricing that is quite high, means it will be sustained, at least for now.

Quick Reply: 993 Purchase Question