Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Purchase Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 12:32 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

PM me if you need, I got my 95 from Mohr and my PPI from C&C.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In January I bought a higher mileage '95 in Monterey. It was a private party sale and the seller was very picky about how far he had to drive for a PPI. I ended up going with the Porsche dealership in Monterey. Their prices were a bit high for the inspection and a leak down/compression test wasn't included in the standard PPI. (Be sure to insist on a leak down/compression test during the inspection. It will add time and $$$ but it is worth knowing if the engine will need work right away.) The PPI was pretty accurate about the various problems with the car, so fart there have been no ugly surprises for me. Just a long fix-it list that I knew I'd be getting myself into from day 1.

This cars are old and regardless of mileage, rubber bits have aged and need replacement. Expect to put some serious money into the suspension if it hasn't already, recently be done.

All in all, I wouldn't do a dealer PPI if you have the choice. If you don't have a choice, like me, Porsche of Monterey isn't the worst to deal with.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM
A4Ultrasport
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Two more quick questions...

1. When the car was started, it had white smoke (fair amount) come out of the tailpipes. This lasted only a second or two, then nothing. Is this pretty normal, or does it indicate some sort of issue?

2. The oil level gauge (one on the far left?) rose slightly into the red when I started the car, but never went any higher. It didn't move at all during the test drive. Is the gauge potentially broken or the car low on oil? I would say the needle was halfway into the red, but there were no other warning lights on the dash (and frankly didn't notice until halfway through the drive). Thoughts on this one?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:01 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Ultrasport
2. The oil level gauge (one on the far left?) rose slightly into the red when I started the car, but never went any higher. It didn't move at all during the test drive. Is the gauge potentially broken or the car low on oil? I would say the needle was halfway into the red, but there were no other warning lights on the dash (and frankly didn't notice until halfway through the drive). Thoughts on this one?

Thanks.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...oil-level.html
Old 05-11-2014, 09:40 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts
Default List of 993 specific inspection items

Attached is a list of most of the common items on a 993 that end up needing some work. For this you can probably develop 993 specific inspection items beyond the basics that should be looked at on any used car.
Attached Images
Old 05-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm still a novice to the 993 world, but is guess the smoke at start up might be leaky lower valve cover gaskets leading to oil dripping onto the exhaust. I seem to be experiencing similar symptoms.

Fixing those lower valve cover gaskets is on my short list. It is suppose to be a pretty easy self repair if you are into DIY.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
I'm still a novice to the 993 world, but is guess the smoke at start up might be leaky lower valve cover gaskets leading to oil dripping onto the exhaust. I seem to be experiencing similar symptoms.

Fixing those lower valve cover gaskets is on my short list. It is suppose to be a pretty easy self repair if you are into DIY.
He stated it is coming out of the tailpipes-that will not be valve cover gaskets, and certainly isn't normal. Cars that sit for extended periods (2 weeks?) can exhibit such as oil may seep into the combustion chamber over the period, but then again, it can be something else more serious.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:55 PM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Do some searches on the 90k service, it's important that you know the potential costs coming at you should you choose to purchase it. Also keep in mind that things that sound simple like cracked/worn plug wires that come up in the PPI should not be blown off until you've researched the costs associated. That's one example of an item that is more expensive and time consuming to replace than most other cars and can come as a surprise later. It shouldn't be a deal breaker but you should be informed.

Good luck and I hope this one works out.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:07 AM
skywagonboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Ultrasport
1. When the car was started, it had white smoke (fair amount) come out of the tailpipes. This lasted only a second or two, then nothing. Is this pretty normal, or does it indicate some sort of issue?
I had a PPI done on a C4S in Florida...that I took a pass on(paint issues)...and it smoked on starting. The Pcar shop guy told me this:

"The engine smokes a bit on start…not concerning. Very common in 993s. The oil turns into a foam and sits in heads, drains into valve seats and then when you start it blows smoke out tailpipes."

Mark
Old 05-13-2014, 10:33 PM
A4Ultrasport
Intermediate

Update on the car, it finished an initial PPI today, a quick recap of results:

- Has oil leaks (lower valve cover gaskets, possibly oil return tubes, cam cover housings and center case). Sounds like fixing the valve cover gaskets would get most of the leaks, but the others remain and sound expensive potentially down the road. Could these others wait awhile?

- Will need a new clutch relatively soon. It is apparently engaging pretty high up, but not slipping or showing other signs yet. That said, likely an imminent item.

- The airbrake (not sure if this is the right word) that funnels air into the engine from the spoiler when deployed is broken and needs fixed. Spoiler works, but this part is broken.

- The heater and AC work, but the heater when turned to max doesn't actually blow harder. This may be blower related, or something else, the person doing the PPI couldn't tell. Anybody have this issue? As long as the heat works in some capacity I'm not overly concerned initially, but curious how expensive this might be to fix down the road.

I haven't done a leakdown and compression test on the car yet, I'm getting a quote of an additional $1100 minimum to do this. That said, C&C (where I had the PPI done) strongly urged me not to do it as they feel the engine is healthy from what they've seen (driving the car, no rough or lopsided idle).

So remaining questions...

1. The car is listed at 38.9k. Based on this information, what would you pay for it? No service records and an accident on the carfax (no damage found by the PPI today, believe it was minor).

2. Would you spend $1100+ for a compression/leakdown based on the above?

Thank you all again for your help, this forum is awesome!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

$27k. You popped for a PPI, without an agreed price, subject to PPI? A bit backwards.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Zeichen 282
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't tell you what to pay for the car though it sounds like it has a number of not insignificant needs. I would question the competence of the place doing the PPI though based on the fact that they "strongly urged" you not to do a compression & leakdown test and then quote you more than $1k for the job - probably to further discourage you.

I've never heard of such a ridiculously high price for that job. They're most likely not interested in your business for some reason. Doesn't sound like a reputable business to me. Sorry to be a downer.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 PM
A4Ultrasport
Intermediate

I've gotten the price down to 33k based on the inspection results, but that's as long as the seller will go. Does anybody have experience using Porsche of Monterey for a compression test/leakdown?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:30 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

$1100 for a leak down and compression? I paid $400 for my PPI including both leak down and compression. You should have taken it to Fastlane in Santa Cruz for the PPI.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 PM
A4Ultrasport
Intermediate

Unfortunately, the seller won't let the car leave Monterey. I think Porsche of Monterey is my only other option. May see how much a compression/leakdown runs there. Sure it isn't cheap! If anybody knows any place else, please let me know. The $1100 quote was from C&C.

Quick Reply: 993 Purchase Question