Sponsored by:

ECU Identification Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:44 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default ECU Identification Help

I recently acquired the ECU pictured below. All I know is its from a '96. It has what appears to be an aftermarket chip soldered in. I asked Steven about the ECU and he said that its a GIAC chipped ECU (Thanks again by the way Steven). Beyond that no amount of searching has yielded any information for me. Frankly I dont know what this might mean in terms of utility and value of the ECU.

I acquired the ECU in the purchase of a varioram manifiold for a varioram upgrade on my '95. From what I understand I dont need the ECU and I dont have much interest in building up an obdII car (though I do like the idea of being able to monitor a whole bunch of data that can only be done via obdII). Thus I would like to sell this ECU to help ease the cost of the manifold and associated parts for the upgrade.

So Rennfolk, what do I have and what is a fair market value and how useful is it? Personally I dont think its worth much given its from a '96, and I dont expect to get too much for it if it sells at all.

Karl
Attached Images    

Last edited by knorrena; 05-05-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Karl,

Wow,..thats an oldie!!

You have a '96 ECU with a GIAC chip in it and this was done back in '96 when we had a supply of those PROM chips to do these things. With the manufacture & supply of those proprietary chips long gone, your ECU is a rare bird.

This will work in any '96 or '97 N/A 993, however I don't precisely know whats in that RS01 file without digging through all my old files.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:27 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for posting Steve, I was hoping you would contribute.

I am a a noob in the Porsche and ECU flashing domain, so any comments you have would have great value for me.

What i am hoping to be able to do is extract enough value out of this ECU to buy a varioram ROW chip for my MY95 with drive block. I have been toying with the idea of bypassing the driveblock, but I would be fairly pissed if the car got stolen because I removed the securoty feature that might prevent it being stolen.

So can the chip still be reflashed? Does it require a particular proprietary software?

Like I said, your help is greatly appreciated.

Karl
Old 05-05-2014, 05:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

PM sent...

You're already talking to the man that can answer your questions...
Old 05-05-2014, 06:04 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
PM sent...

You're already talking to the man that can answer your questions...
PM sent before you

Quick Reply: ECU Identification Help