Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsheild Glass Replacement Option Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:48 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Windsheild Glass Replacement Option Suggestions?

I have a 45 K mileage 993 and it has pitting in line of site of passenger seat (right where my significant other/opinionated GF sits). I am thinking of replacing windshield. I read a comment on RL someone made about OEM factory from Germany being "softer" and more liable to pit?
Suggestions appreciated.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:08 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Can't help you on the glass. But be prepared to find rust in the windshield frame and to have to get it fixed.

Apparently it seems to be a big problem for 993s in all climates.

Take care,
Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, my windshield has a lot of pitting and a few small chips. I'd love for the chips to grow because the its a free replacement in FL if the chip is larger than a dollar(and you have comprehensive).
I think its a balance, softer windshields are more likely to get pitted but less likely to have crack propagation, while hard, brittle windshields will resist pitting but will crack easier.
I suppose that if you have options, it all comes down to personal preference.

Just don't dwell on the pitting issue too much or it may become an epidemic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle...tting_Epidemic
Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 386 Posts

I have read that the factory windshield is less likely to creak than an aftermarket windshield. I couyldn't live with any creaking or rattles so I would go with factory.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
I have a 45 K mileage 993 and it has pitting in line of site of passenger seat (right where my significant other/opinionated GF sits). I am thinking of replacing windshield. I read a comment on RL someone made about OEM factory from Germany being "softer" and more liable to pit?
Suggestions appreciated.
Replacing the front windshield in the 993 is a chore as it has to be glued in and can be messed up by inexperienced installers so beware.

May be easier to get a new GF that is less opinionated. My be better for many reasons.

But maybe better post a pic first!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

If you decide on getting a new windshield instead of a new girlfriend, make sure you stick with OEM glass and get a good shop to install it -- someone who has installed 993 glass before. Creaking is a much more annoying problem than softness.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

OK Done....I'll lose the GF....makes more sense....Well....maybe not...other considerations? Can live without them? Shoot them? Trade them? I guess at this stage as free air-fair is involved, I'll have to keep the GF and buy her a bad pair of designer shades.....
Good to hear about a potential windshield rust problem with these wonderful machines (hope not). At this stage I am a guy living with pits!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

keep the windshield as long as possible. I bet your GF would rather see you spend $1.5k on her (or at least both of you) and deal with looking through pitted glass. It's part of the charm like all old things.

Mine is all pitted with a ding slightly below my line of vision. I know that as soon as I replace this perfectly usable windshield I'll crack next on in no time. So until mine cracks I'm keeping it. BTW I believe mine is original with 74k miles...so yea it looks like crap.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:34 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

NYC 993 ..... well you may think so, but your photo shop ability makes you car one slick-looking ride!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by therossinator
Just don't dwell on the pitting issue too much or it may become an epidemic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle...tting_Epidemic
Great story

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Seattle Windshield Pitting Epidemic is a phenomenon which affected Bellingham, Seattle, and other communities of Washington state in April, 1954; it is considered an example of a mass delusion.[1] It was characterized by widespread observation of previously unnoticed windshield holes, pits and dings, leading residents to believe that a common causative agent was at work. It was originally thought to be the work of vandals but the rate of pitting was so great that residents began to attribute it to everything from sand flea eggs to nuclear bomb testing.

Originating in Bellingham in March, police initially believed the work to be vandals using BB guns. However the pitting was soon observed in the nearby towns of Sedro Woolley and Mount Vernon and by mid-April, appeared to have spread to the town of Anacortes on Fidalgo Island.

Within a week, the news and the so-called "pitting epidemic" had reached metropolitan Seattle. As the newspapers began to feature the story, more and more reports of pitting were called in. Motorists began stopping police cars to report damage and car lots and parking garages reported particularly severe attacks.

Several theories for the widespread damage were postulated:
  • Some thought that a new million watt radio transmitter installed by the Navy was producing waves that caused physical oscillations in glass;
  • Some believed it to be the work of cosmic rays;
  • Some reporting seeing glass bubble form right before their eyes, believing it to be the work of sand fleas;
  • Some attributed it to a shift in the Earth's magnetic field;
  • Others blamed supernatural phenomena such as "gremlins."[citation needed]
By April 15, close to 3,000 windshields had been reported as affected. Finally, Sergeant Max Allison of the Seattle police crime laboratory stated that the pitting reports consisted of "5 per cent hoodlum-ism, and 95 per cent public hysteria." By April 17, the pitting suddenly stopped.

The "Seattle Windshield Pitting Epidemic" as it is called has become a textbook case of collective delusion (not "mass hysteria" as reported).[2] Although natural windshield pitting had been going on for some time, it was only when the media called public attention to it that people actually looked at their windshields and saw damage they had never noticed before.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
Replacing the front windshield in the 993 is a chore as it has to be glued in and can be messed up by inexperienced installers so beware.

May be easier to get a new GF that is less opinionated. My be better for many reasons.

But maybe better post a pic first!
Agree with all of this
Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
NYC 993 ..... well you may think so, but your photo shop ability makes you car one slick-looking ride!
Thanks, appreciate kind words...not much skill, just simple exposure/color/saturation adjustments. RAW images are great as you can basically retake the picture.

The car is in pretty good condition and silver color hides imperfections very well, but 74k miles of highways will do their damage to the windshield and to the front bumper.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just caught a good size rock right in the line of sight a couple of weeks ago. It's about 1/8" in diameter. I may wait until it cracks further before pursue getting it replaced. Researching threads local to me for a reputable windshield replacement shop.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Harlan....I may have to deal with a replacement at some point....would appreciate finding out where you went with a replacement should it happen.
Thanks! John
Old 05-05-2014, 11:34 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys are lucky, I may have to drive to Vancouver just to get my windshield replaced. I doubt there's anyone up here that's ever replaced one on a 993. Mine's been cracked since last year.

Quick Reply: Windsheild Glass Replacement Option Suggestions?