Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flooding and a 993

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:10 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
I agree with calling the insurance company.

And you can always disconnect the horn or pull the fuse then go from there to see what else is screwed up.
Removing the horn fuse does not work. Is the horn located Yuh
In the left rest quarter panel.? Because that's where the sound is coming from.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by therossinator
Removing the horn fuse does not work. Is the horn located Yuh
In the left rest quarter panel.? Because that's where the sound is coming from.
Just an idea, but it could be the alarm horn. On my 97, it is on the drivers side in front of the rear wheel (going from memory here)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I think you are hearing the separate horn for the factory 'alarm'. It's under the rear of the car, to the left of the transmission.

Andreas
Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 PM
therossinator
Pro

That could explain why all the lights are going haywire too. The alarm must control those as well and makes them flash randomly. How can I disable it? I bet its something like a fuse marked "alarm".

I bought 10 pounds of rice and being the smart little chap that I am, also bought screen door material from Home Depot. I laid the screen down in in both front and rear footwells and filled with about 5 pounds of the rice.

I'll cross my fingers and wait.

Why contact the insurance company again? Thats something I would have never considered. I only told them that water was rising and I'd like a tow. They said they couldn't send one out because they are only for police emergencies now, I told them I'd get a friend to pull me out.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:12 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to remove the two seats and unplug, remove, and attempt to dry the various computer boxes located under the seats. You're not having these problems because water soaked the horn in the fender. You're having these problems because water soaked the computer components under the seats. I would get on it.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That truly sux!! You may want to give your ins co a call since replacing all those electrics and whatever else is needed to get it back running may just run into some crazy $$$!
Flooding... that's another reason I no longer live in FL.

Good luck,
Gary
Old 04-30-2014, 02:58 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing....Stop applying power to wet electronics (under seat modules). Pull them out, pack them in rice and/or put them in the oven at very low temp (<=150F) for several hours. As mentioned above, these parts are crazy expensive so you want the best chance that they survive. Water and electronics are NOT friends...luckily you are NOT talking salt water.

<edit> thanks to nine9six for pointing out my missing "NOT" above...

Last edited by kjr914; 05-01-2014 at 01:31 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 370 Posts

I would use a shop vac to suck all that water out right away. If you can get it into a garage with a space heater and dehumidifier it should dry out pretty quick.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:23 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, but Im baffled by this one...

Originally Posted by therossinator
Why contact the insurance company again? Thats something I would have never considered.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I think you are hearing the separate horn for the factory 'alarm'. It's under the rear of the car, to the left of the transmission.

Andreas
Yep. And it's going off because your alarm/immobilizer ecu is wet. Sorry to hear about this. The insurance claim might be a good idea when you start to price those components under the seats...

I was flying back from the west caost last night and went from New Orleans to Tampa over the gulf. we were watching the storms over your area and both of us remarked that it was the most electrically active weather system we had ever seen. I've been flying fopr 30 years...
Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
First thing....Stop applying power to wet electronics (under seat modules). Pull them out, pack them in rice and/or put them in the oven at very low temp (<=150F) for several hours. As mentioned above, these parts are crazy expensive so you want the best chance that they survive. Water and electronics are NOT friends...luckily you are talking salt water.
+993^ As first course of action. (I think Keith meant luckily you are NOT talking salt water!) That would be a huge OMG!

If this was done first, I'd give better than even odds that things may have plugged back in and operated as intended. Now, after powering things up while they were still wet, not so much!

Seats out, ECU's out, car and all electrical connectors dried out completely. Hopefully there will be no corrosion in the electrical connections later on; which could cause plenty of subsequent hair pulling.

Lights and horn actuation were indeed the alarm module (shorting?).

An industrial blower can be rented from Home Depot; like in the case of floods. This would be good to funnel into the car after pulling seats and removing ECU's. Air and lots of it, will be your friend!

Hopefully things will be OK once dried out...I'd keep my fingers crossed and say a little prayer each morning and night.

Good luck! I hope things work out
Old 04-30-2014, 05:39 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull out the front seats(rear aren't too bad either), remove the various computers under the front seats, remove the carpet(trust me on this, gm has a lot of recalls for water leaks). let the carpet dry outside or if still raining in a garage or heck even a neighbors garage if need be. dry the floor boards of the car. jack the car up in the driveway, remove all wheels, dry the suspension, if it's a coil over system spray the living hell out of it with wd40 or any lubricating oil like it. crawl under the car and dry the exhaust(wouldn't hurt to remove it). remove the o2 sensors as theyre probably shot now anyway.

at no point turn the car on, providing power to electronic items that are or have been covered in water is not a good idea. open the computers up where needed and let the dry in rice. for electrical connectors, clean them with electrical connector cleaner, spray some wd40 in em, dry them with compressed air or blow really well, let the drip dry if need be then electrical connector cleaner again.

hopefully all of that should save some of the items
Old 04-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

My Audi wagon has a tendency leak in the back during a heavy rain. I stick a dehumidifier in the car with the windows up and let it run for an hour. Dries it out well. Like others have said, don't power up the car until you get it dried out. Since the alarm is going off, I bet the alarm module has water in it. I had this happen on my old 944 when the battery box corroded and water got in to the control module. As a result the horn would blow, but the car would start and move. I am guessing that will have to be replaced since I had to replace mine.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 PM
therossinator
Pro

How can the seats be removed without power?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Was the water above the exhaust tips?

Quick Reply: Flooding and a 993