Rain-X

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 10:47 AM
fish993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rainx

Originally posted by Ron_H
Never leave home without Rain-X and your Valentine 1.
On my 928, I need to be above 60 mph for Rain-X to work effectively.
The V1 works all the time. If you ever lose your wipers in a rain storm, you will bless the fact you have Rain-X. It has happened twice to me and both times I was at least 3 states away from home. There is a better product than Rain-X: I found it in Oklahoma and it stays on the glass...can't seem to get the cr*p off even with lacquer thinner. I forgot the name though....sorry.
Probably the other product is aquapel. Let me know if this is it. I know a source.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:44 AM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Be sure to only use Rain-X though, have tried other products that claim to be the same. Not the same. Smears with the wipers turned on and produced a lot of streaks in direct sunlight.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 08-04-2003, 09:37 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I got some of this http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

I will report back to how it works, but for $20 I figured I would give it a try.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:26 AM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Rain-X: The first time I used it (several years ago) I drove from Chicago to Minneapolis that day and ended up hitting a rain storm - never needed the wipers one time. Great Stuff, it really works. I don't use it as much these days 'cause my car doesn't often see rain anymore.

Downsides: Only a little effort to buff out the haze after application.

Fog-X: Works great on the inside of the windows to prevent moisture from "fogging" the windows. When I lived in Mpls I had a Sentra for winter driving and the inside Windows would ice-up when it was very cold. It had a pretty weak heater that didn't do much for the rear quarter windows. Fog-X solved the Problem!!! If you live in a snowy climate you must try this. Another Trick - use it on your bathroom mirror and it won't fog up. No need to wipe a circle with a towel so you can see yourself shaving!
Old 08-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used it for awhile then gave up on the junk. Works great initially, but after a while you find you need the wipers. Then they chatter like crazy and you get ugly streaks on the windshield.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

I use Rain-X and the PIAA silicon wipers. Awesome combination. The wipers are impregnated with a Rain-X like compound and the duo works like a charm. They seem to support each other and last an extermely long time.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:49 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

allegedly it damages the wipers silicone... any truth in that?
Old 08-04-2003, 12:22 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ray Calvo
Used it for awhile then gave up on the junk. Works great initially, but after a while you find you need the wipers. Then they chatter like crazy and you get ugly streaks on the windshield.
I had the same experience as Ray maybe 10 years ago, I have not used it since!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:26 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Rain X all the time, but NOT any more on the front screen. Like others, I find that it can cuase the wipers to chatter across the screen. Works BRILLIANTLY in the side and rear windows though. It is excellent stuff!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:02 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey guys, check out this independent test comparing Rain-X and Aquapel. After 72 days the Aquapel was still beading on the windshield.

http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2006/04...-x-vs-aquapel/

Give me a call if you'd like to try it. $7.99 plus shipping for one windshield.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:59 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

I use Rejex on my windshield and really like it. I think it works as well as Rain-x, it's easier to apply and remove.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:04 AM
hotrdd911
Instructor

I’ve been told that if I tell any more people about Rain-X I need to get an endorsement deal. Honestly I won’t go on any trip without it. When I was in college I had a car that had wipers that kept braking I applied Rain-X and never used the wipers again. In the winter when the windshield would get dirty I’d pull behind a transport that was kicking up lots of stuff and it would just clean the windshield. I like to clean the windshield and then apply a coat of Rain-X, wait several minutes and then buff it off. If I haven’t applied Rain-X in a while I’ll do two or three coats. I’ve had the same experience as others when driving in torrential down pours, people are waiting it out on the side of the road and I’m still driving the limit without the wipers on. GET SOME FUNNY LOOKS.

P.S. Since this is a silicone product don’t forget to tell your paint shop you use it, I’ve heard they would need to strip a car to do a repaint because of the silicone.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Racer944
Racer

I am a firm believer in 3M Aquapel after having it on all my cars for the past 3 years. Rain-X while good, just does not last long enough for me... In addition to not needing wipers most of the time, the Aquapel lasts about 6 to 8 months before needing a renewal and that includes using it on my truck through harsh Canadian winters. Its the only windshield treatment I will use now... Also makes it easier to clean the windows of bug juice in the summer months and get rid of ice in the winter.

Cheers;
Eric
Old 04-18-2006, 11:51 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use RainX on the sides and back window. Its like wax for your glass, makes clean up very easy and doesn't let water film on the glass. Awesome stuff.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK Ray,

Hey Lazy Bones....your wipers chatter?...come on now there is an easy fix. They need to be absolutely perpendicular to the windshield. If not, they will chatter the direction they are leaning into.

Take a couple of plyers or adjustable wrenches and twist the arm until the blade is at right angles to the windshield. Be carefull not to tweak the gears in the motor when you twist. The windshield is curves so you have to leave the wipers on the windshield in the worst area.

Good luck and let us know if it works for you!

Last edited by Bruce SEA 993; 04-18-2006 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Rain-X