Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trial awdectomy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:30 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

No disrespect to Quad, as I am sure he is a capable driver. But for the love of God, please don't lift in a corner to test this out. I never enjoy that "ride' with my students and the sometimes subsequent THUD that occurs.

The car does push, but what are you going to do, lawyers got to the designers =-)
Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry, I have learned my lesson about lifting in corners.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by rlme36
No disrespect to Quad, as I am sure he is a capable driver. But for the love of God, please don't lift in a corner to test this out. I never enjoy that "ride' with my students and the sometimes subsequent THUD that occurs.
I wouldn't recommend it at absolute adhesion limits, but at 8/10s on a fairly stock AWD 993, anything but a horribly abrupt lift shouldn't cause any real oversteer. Certainly nothing like an early car.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by 01coccobet
any issue with the electronics if you get rid of the torque tube and the front drives?
Originally Posted by race911
It's a mechanical system.
sort of, you should install the appropriate component on each front wheel backing plate to keep the ABS sensors happy.
Porsche provides a purpose built component for this, or you can just use a stub axle.
Sorry, don't have the P/N of the component handy.

Other than that it's as Ken says, easey-peasey.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:43 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
really? I've done a fair amount of hard driving and I've never had the car oversteer...ever. In anything resembling stock form (and my car is not stock with 030s/hd, hr sways, aggressive alignment, etc) these cars push like whales. You'd need to really do some hamfisted throttle work to get the car to hang the tail out...or pound on the brakes mid corner. Even lifting in a corner doesn't really bring the rear around in my car.
really?
indeed yes.
but
There was certainly "hamfisted throttle work to get the car to hang the tail out.", though I prefer it to be called pitch-n-catch maneuvers to shorten the path through a corner at an AX.

PS, it seems to work equally well in RWD or AWD configurations as long as I apply sufficient input....................

Craig
Old 05-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Eric in SD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really? I've done a fair amount of hard driving and I've never had the car oversteer...ever. In anything resembling stock form (and my car is not stock with 030s/hd, hr sways, aggressive alignment, etc) these cars push like whales. You'd need to really do some hamfisted throttle work to get the car to hang the tail out...or pound on the brakes mid corner. Even lifting in a corner doesn't really bring the rear around in my car.
Ask my instructor at the February Willow Springs DE event. Under hard acceleration out of a corner the C4 does indeed step out from the rear. I suspect that in that case (controlled slide) the 4WD system is sending all or most of the power to the rear wheels. Several times the rear end came around to the point of being sideways on the track. It surprised the hell out of me the first time but I was able to catch it without coming off the throttle completely. After that experience I gained a feel for it and find now I can break it loose in a second gear turn on the street with a flick of the steering wheel and generous use of the throttle.

On the other hand, if you come into a corner too hot, you will experience significant oversteer.

I'll add that I am running stock 17" Pirellis, so better rubber would probably change this behavior. Also I am a total rookie in the Porsche and as such I am open to being corrected in my interpretation of the handling.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Eric in SD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
really?
indeed yes.
but
There was certainly "hamfisted throttle work to get the car to hang the tail out.", though I prefer it to be called pitch-n-catch maneuvers to shorten the path through a corner at an AX.

PS, it seems to work equally well in RWD or AWD configurations as long as I apply sufficient input....................

Craig
Craig has probably nailed my approach ("pitch-n-catch") to get the rear end to come out in street driving in his response above.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

if you guys are applying some scandanavian flick to the driving process that might account for it.

but i'll tell you, with about 80% throttle on 2nd gear hairpins, i get zero wheel spin and the car will push if you're on it hard. This assume a slow in/fast out style. if you trail brake it, the front does tuck in fairly well, but the rear doesn't come around in any noticeable way.

I run 235/295s, so that may help.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:34 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I run 235/295s, so that may help.
Mine C4S pushed/understeered like a pig in AX (even after the AWD died) with 225/285 tires, but a 245 front fixed that! I suspect that Quad's 295 rear tire is helping him a bunch. And hopefully he, and all of you, aren't pushing your cars on the street as we might in AX...
Old 05-01-2014, 06:54 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
Mine C4S pushed/understeered like a pig in AX (even after the AWD died) with 225/285 tires, but a 245 front fixed that! I suspect that Quad's 295 rear tire is helping him a bunch. And hopefully he, and all of you, aren't pushing your cars on the street as we might in AX...
Lol of course we do...in auto x you don't get out 2nd gear.

I second that AWD 993 understeers very much so especially under acceleration. If you already in a slide, that's a different story. You cab drift anything with steering wheel and lack of traction. Take a look at drifting camrys in middle east on youtube.

Quick Reply: Trial awdectomy?