993 Forum 1995-1998

Best speakers for 993

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another plug for Rod Birch. He really knows his stuff and is very easy to deal with remotely. I ended up installing the Focal 165 V30 in the doors, powered by an Arc Audio KS125.2 Mini. The tweeters fit in the stock tweeter pods with just a little persuasion from a Dremel, the amp fits easily beneath the passenger seat, and the overall sound met my expectations. As a recovering audiophile, I'm still picky about sound quality and prefer a clean, open midrange, with smooth, unexaggerated highs. The Focals fit the bill, and were reasonably priced. On a nice day, I still prefer to drive the car with the sunroof and windows open, the stereo turned down, and let the orchestra in the back fulfill my need for music, but when stuck in traffic on a rainy day, this setup does the job.

-John
Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM
LJ993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 96 Cab and installed a set of Diamond Audio Hex 6 components in the doors. Powered by a JL Audio 400/4 bridged to a 400/2. I have the original 4 inch speakers in the rear side panels powered by the original amp. I could have spend a ton more, the Focals, don't recall the model now, were amazing but double the price. Before the change, I couldn't even hear the radio on the freeway with the top down, now sounds great. Pretty easy install in the door. The installer put the JL Audio amp in the bottom of front trunk along with the Diamond Audio crossovers and the cd changer, which I now longer use, the ipod/phone adapter will change your life. He then fabricated a panel to sit over the amp and crossovers and cd changer. In hindsight, not the best idea. I has really limited the use of the trunk, not that I use it much, but it is a pain when accessing the battery or spare tire area. Good luck, lots of good options out there.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

Name:  image-2919259322.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  427.6 KB

--Michael
The following users liked this post:
silverlock (12-02-2022)
Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 306 Posts

^^ LOL - I saw this on another of your posts! nice improv! I don't have the vintage 90's boom box to match the car ! I'd like to learn more about active speakers- I have those in my recording studio and they are THE ticket! powerful, shielded and sound awesome.

As already stated for some of you- the "older, outdated stuff" is mostly gone except the ADS stuff. I have Rockford Fosgate and JVC and I totally agree that a better, newer head unit and speakers will make a huge difference- but there are no tears in the speaker - just not a great sound. and for you Fister's out there ( and I mean that in the nicest way ) I'd still like to have a music system that is passable- but the stage 2's are tempting.

Quick Reply: Best speakers for 993