Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best speakers for 993

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:28 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone off-hand know the speaker measurements for all speakers involved in the Hi-Fi option? (depth as well as diameter)
Old 04-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
Does anyone off-hand know the speaker measurements for all speakers involved in the Hi-Fi option? (depth as well as diameter)
I THINK the issue is really that not all speakers conform to an exact dimension. By that, I mean a Focal 6.5" speaker may be slightly different than a Boston Acoustics 6.5" speaker. Thus just because you have a 6.5" speaker now, doesn't necessarily mean that all 6.5" speakers will fit. This is particular tru of the tweeter location,which is even more confining.

Not to mention that the frames of the speaker may be different as well, causing other fitment problems.

try calling Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations http://www.caraudioinnovations.com

He knows a ton about Porsches, and can recommend something that will fit with no cutting. Just let him know your budget and what your goals are. Rod is a terrific guy.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:55 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I think the most seamless improvement is a swap of the HiFi full range drivers for the Dynaudios out of the VWs. This single change made a huge difference for me, and provides a great foundation on which to build down the road.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9842556-...tml?styleid=13
Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks both. I know from the 986 world that speaker diameter was only an indicator that the speaker may fit. Some of the speakers had strange mounting brackets (3-screw vs. 4-screw) that required special adapter brackets to mate more conventional speakers with the door panels.

Also speaker depth was a key issue. In certain cases the spaces for the speakers were rather shallow and only a small selection of speakers were short enough to fit the space. Hence my question.

I'll definitely follow up with Rod Birch. Rather than *best* speakers, I'm simply interested in getting new, functional speakers that don't sound horrific to replace the blown originals. I'd like to leave the amp and receiver/head unit stock.

Also my primary *sound system* upgrades planned will be Fister Stage 2/3 and a Motor Sound Intake...
Old 04-15-2014, 07:11 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Info refers to 10 speaker hi-fi option.

Rear combined speaker - mid range approx o/d 4 7/16" 3 sided mounting plate. Height 1 5/8". I used a 4" 4 hole mount - cost me $8.00 delivered by UPS from Amazon. Works fine and in the noisy 993 environment perfectly acceptable to me. Bearing in mind Porsche is selling a similar size speaker for $32 and bearing in mind their usual huge mark-up, I estimate the real cost of a Porsche speaker is way less than $8.00! The tweeter is glued in and secured by 2 small torx screws, diameter is 1 5/16" and 5/8" deep - I disconnected it.

Mid range door speaker has 2 hole surround 3 1/8" od x 1.5" high. Low range door speaker dimensions I don't have but can be found from photograph comparing with the mid range. Door tweeters are not connected and i don't, know the dimensions, I haven't pulled them out.

I dumped the Nokia amp and all works fine from a Sony $65.00 head unit. It's actually sounds better than the OE set up.

Attached Images   
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,401 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Best speakers for a 993? Buy em from FD Motorsports. They are called Fister 3's or Fister 2's. Done.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by x50type
It's actually sounds better than the OE set up.
Anything will.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Fully active HiFi system ..

mpurden -
The Dyn/VW driver is robust, there's no doubt. The Dyn soft dome driver is running actively crossed at 800hz out to 5khz in the coupes enhanced HiFi door enclosures. The sound pressure level, imaging, etc., are all simply outstanding. Put it this way, the Dyn/VW driver does the much sought after disappearing act, acoustically speaking. This acoustic character only the very best drivers typically exhibit; tight phase coherency across its bandwidth baby. You can listen to the Dyn's all day long... musical and loud when needed. Its an active system w/Digital Signal Processing as a key; dedicated control of each speaker with total control of the system in its environment.
Good DSP is getting cheaper $$ by the minute... Get with it guy's.

I'm currently listening to the Vifa modified OEM tweeter door pods. So far I like these best (given the confine of the diminutive 20mm (3/4') size of the original tweeter door pods) But I'm insisting on stealth. The Vifa tweeter is a nice upgrade for small money.

Good luck moving forward on your coupes HiFi improvements.

Originally Posted by mpruden
I think the most seamless improvement is a swap of the HiFi full range drivers for the Dynaudios out of the VWs. This single change made a huge difference for me, and provides a great foundation on which to build down the road.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9842556-...tml?styleid=13
Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Kika

Were there many complaints from owners of new 993's that the sound system was crap?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
I'm currently listening to the Vifa modified OEM tweeter door pods. So far I like these best (given the confine of the diminutive 20mm (3/4') size of the original tweeter door pods) But I'm insisting on stealth.
Not to hijack the thread, but I'd love to hear more about these tweeters and how you have them in the OEM pods.

After installing the dyns, I thought the high end spectrum of the system was actually pretty good considering the age. Then again, I believe my stock Nokia is putting full range through them. Definitely sounds like it's at or above the 5khz crossover point you mention.

BTW, thanks M. Schneider for paving the trail with the Dyns... they are shockingly good to my worn out drummer's ears, IMVHO. In a past life I did some engineering on Dyn monitors. There's a reason they're in studios... definitely top notch.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a big fan of Polk Audio. I have had a positive experience with their MM series speakers.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Kika

Were there many complaints from owners of new 993's that the sound system was crap?

No, not really, at least that I know of, and when it was new, the Nokia speakers actually sounded decent.

Two factors go against it, one, age, the speakers are either drid out, or the baffles torn or both.
Second, digital processing is far superior to what existed 16-18 years ago.
Fresh speakers and a decent headunit from today, will sound much better.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:34 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Kika

all very obvious, so why the snide remark?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 AM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kika
...while the 993 is not an audiophile environment...
agreed!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Kika

all very obvious, so why the snide remark?

Apologize, was not intended to be snide, just saying that replacing the old stuff with newer, updated equipment is going to be an improvement.

Similar to comparing N-spec tires from 1996 to tires from today.

Quick Reply: Best speakers for 993