Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

High Speed Vibration From Rear End +70mph?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:59 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The joint was toast. The wheel bearing was also probably damaged. The old hub is the only part that might still be reusable.

Photo#3 shows my $100 mistake . Yep, good thing I had ordered two wheel bearings just in case!
Photo #4 shows these %^&#@ retainers!

I used anti-seize to help pressing in the bearing and hub.

I used this Harbor Freight tool: Pittsburgh Automotive - item#66829. The supplied accessories worked perfectly. No need for additional sizes.

Tip: Jack up the hub carrier all the way up, and the driveaxle slides out of the hub fairly easily even with the PSS10s. Just remove the heating duct and loosen the oil line. No big deal there. No need to disconnect any suspension arms, therefore you can save your alignment.

I followed the Wheel Bearing DIY article on P-car.com, and I watched the following youtube videos: (BMW but same concept)
Attached Images       

Last edited by CaptainGSR; 05-06-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

that is pretty cool. my little cab had a rear wheel bearing on its way out, without the bearing tools I have to remove the entire rear wheel carrier and use a press.
so last question, why do you have a front wheel brake disk backing plate on the rear?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

I have no idea about the dust shield. I'll check the numbers, but both rear sides seem identical.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:32 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

thanks for posting the HF item number, I picked one up for 80 bucks plus a free tape measure.
used it to press the hub into the bearing/wheel carrier, much easier than trying to set up the press.
and yet another question,
how did you pull the hub out of the bearing without removing the wheel carrier?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k722070
thanks for posting the HF item number, I picked one up for 80 bucks plus a free tape measure. used it to press the hub into the bearing/wheel carrier, much easier than trying to set up the press. and yet another question, how did you pull the hub out of the bearing without removing the wheel carrier?
I used a heavy stubby hammer and a cheap socked to persuade the hub to come out. :-)
It is not really hard, since the outside inner race pops out with the hub.
I then used a dremel to cut the inner race. It cracks on its own, once you cut deep enough.

The harbor freight tool works great. Just take the time to carefully select the right size adapters for every step (i.e. pressing only on the outer race to press the bearing in and out, and applying pressure only on the inside inner race to press the hub back in).
I used some cardboard to shim and keep the tool perfectly centered inside the carrier.

Then of course, don't press the hub back in before installing the bearing retaining brackets. :-(

Good times!

Quick Reply: High Speed Vibration From Rear End +70mph?