Sponsored by:

(Porsche) impressions from Germany

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 04:18 PM
E_T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Porsche) impressions from Germany

I am passing through parts of Germany, from Norway via Denmark to Hamburg, and then the car train to Vienna overnight. Unfortunately not in my 993 this time, but in my BMW dd. First surprise was to be overtaken, as in massively, by a uniformed police car as I was doing around 170 km/h on the autobahn. No siren or lights, just at a high cruising speed. Seeing him pull up from behind made me a little uneasy, cannot readily adapt to the lack of speed limits, I'd lose my licence forever and end up in jail had I been doing that in Norway. Other unnerving thing is that such speeds you still get the big Audis or BMWs literally obliterating you, on what was pretty empty stretches of road. Hard to judge speed (at speed), but they seemed to be doing twice my speed, probably not, though, but surely unlimited models.

Few 993s around, saw (first, heard) what turned out to be a beautiful red turbo on the streets of Hamburg. Surprised to see three different 968s, though. Not surprised to encounter Macans, two 997 GTS, a 2,4 T and staple 996s, but those I didn't really count. Not bad for 5 hours in the fatherland.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Neun 11
Instructor

Driving on the autobahn in Germany is like being a gunslinger in the Old West--there's always somebody faster.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:27 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice trip report!

No photographs?!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

The stripe of autobahn from Denmark to Hamburg is one of the best.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:00 PM
E_T
Instructor

No pics, unfortunately. And yes, a sweet stretch of road it is. Surprisingly little traffic, even with people taking early Easter vacations. As for gunslingers; sure way to get shot in the back. You never see that left indicator light blinking before it is too late.

Quick Reply: (Porsche) impressions from Germany