Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:53 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default iPhone 5 lightning cable for CDR-220

Has anyone purchased?

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iL-BKR.html

Looking for feedback before I take the plunge. Assuming it works as advertised but never sure.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:00 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 30 pin cable from them, with the apple lightning adapter--works great. This would clearly be a more elegant solution.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Yea - I had the 30 pin with an iPhone 4 dedicated to the car. I looked at Bluetooth but decided what's the point if I need to charge the phone anyways. Its not like you can keep it in your pocket and control the music with the head unit.

I am installing this and a Alpine powerpack (KTP 445U) on with my CDR-220... we will see how it goes. I plan on elegantly installing the cable in the rear center console cup. Will post pictures when done.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up a CDR-220 and bought a cheapo aux adapter cable for it off ebay... Planned to install it tonight or tomorrow (as I am looking to take a break from wrenching on the supercharger install, LOL)... I want the cable in question here! I seriously run my battery down more than any human on earth so if I can have an iphone5 lightning cable to toss it on for charging AND it plays the audio from the music app, I'm interested in feedback on it too. Will it play thru the cable if I'm streaming pandora? Typically that requires use of the headphone jack...
Old 04-11-2014, 06:39 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

I stream Pandora all the time with the 30 pin cable and iphone 5 adapter through my CDR 220. Works great. No need to use the headphone plug. Also charges the phone.

Only downside is I get a little background electrical noise through the stereo when the phone is 100% charged. Not alternator whine--just a little background hissing (and only when the phone is 100% charged).
Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

Was looking for such a cable to connect an iPad mini to my CDR-22. Does it display anything on the radio screen like music info, and is there any control ability from the radio to an apple device?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:14 AM
quietcoolone
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne Klinge
Was looking for such a cable to connect an iPad mini to my CDR-22. Does it display anything on the radio screen like music info, and is there any control ability from the radio to an apple device?
from the link posted by OP
"All control and display functions will still need to be operated from the device itself but the volume control on device and/or radio can be used to set the listening level."
Old 08-21-2015, 12:06 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Kevin,

Here is another kit you may want to consider:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BLU-BKR235.html

Although it doesn't provide for charging, it does provide full Bluetooth, will all functions such as Siri controlled by one button. The unit itself can be hidden in the center console, accessible by the little panel on the right side under the dash. I mounted the control button on the center console, and the microphone near the fuel door pull (where being black, it disappears). All wires and cables can be tucked under or alongside the dash panels, so nothing to cut or disassemble. It's a pretty quick and easy install, and it works a treat.

For charging, I bought a short Lightning cable off eBay, and a small "flat-nose" cigar lighter USB adapter with an LED pilot light.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:31 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bobby. The Lightning cable I bought didn't end up working. I think before I go spending any more cash I'm going to wait for the Porsche Classic radio to be released in the U.S....
Old 08-21-2015, 04:12 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

The Lightning cables sold on eBay, even the ones that claim to be Apple certified, may not work for anything beyond charging the device. At least that has been my experience.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:37 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this in my car and it works great. I always stow my phone where the ashtray used to sit, so I just drilled a small hole in the back of the ashtray drawer and fed the wire through there. Very tidy and handy.

Quick Reply: iPhone 5 lightning cable for CDR-220