Sponsored by: DashLynx

Route to Parade 2014 via S Lake Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 PM
pwhite52
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Route to Parade 2014 via S Lake Tahoe

Hello- A group from Utah are coming through S Lake Tahoe on the way to the Parade. We are considering a route from Tahoe to Jackson, then Stockton to San Mateo, Half Moon Bay and then CA-1 to Monterey. If anyone has experience with our prospective route or suggestions we would certainly appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 191 Posts

Hmm, when are you traveling and planning to arrive in Monterey? I was definitely going to fly in, but if there are enough people I can drive with along the way it might be fun to just get in the car despite the distance...
Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 370 Posts

Depending on your time line I would consider changing the route at Half Moon Bay. I would take Hwy 92 to Skyline, Skyline to Hwy 9 and Hwy 9 to Hwy 1. It is a much longer route from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz but the windy mountain roads are more enjoyable to me then the cruz down Hwy 1.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Hmm, when are you traveling and planning to arrive in Monterey? I was definitely going to fly in, but if there are enough people I can drive with along the way it might be fun to just get in the car despite the distance...
The IRPCA group the OP is talking about is leaving Salt Lake City Friday morning at ~7:30. Arriving in Monterey on Saturday afternoon.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
The IRPCA group the OP is talking about is leaving Salt Lake City Friday morning at ~7:30. Arriving in Monterey on Saturday afternoon.
Thank you! I'm going to give this a serious consideration!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Depending on your time line I would consider changing the route at Half Moon Bay. I would take Hwy 92 to Skyline, Skyline to Hwy 9 and Hwy 9 to Hwy 1. It is a much longer route from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz but the windy mountain roads are more enjoyable to me then the cruz down Hwy 1.
Agreed. Skyline or 35 is a great driving road. 35 to 84 to Pescadero Road to 1 is another good option. It doesn't take you as far south as the 35 to 9 option, but might be a nice compromise on time. Hwy 1 is gorgeous but also has a high chance of traffic going slower than you'd like to be driving.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Highway 9 is a great drive but if your coming from the mountains you would likely enjoy the drive down 1…unless it's foggy in which case go 9. Just check the weather when you get close…there is a reason it's called June gloom.

You might look at crossing the bay on 84 and then through Woodside. Depending on the time of day you could stop at Alice's Restaurant in upper Woodside to eat (they usually get a big car/bike crowd) then follow Skyline to 9 etc. or if you are going the coast route keep on 84 to 1 head south and turn inland to Duarte's in Pescadero.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Chris V
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pwhite52
Hello- A group from Utah are coming through S Lake Tahoe on the way to the Parade. We are considering a route from Tahoe to Jackson, then Stockton to San Mateo, Half Moon Bay and then CA-1 to Monterey. If anyone has experience with our prospective route or suggestions we would certainly appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
Sounds like you're considering hwy 88 from Tahoe to Jackson. You can also consider heading just a bit farther south from Tahoe and take hwy 4 over Ebbett's Pass all the way to Stockton. I've driven this route with my 993 and it has beautiful scenery, good condition roads, great curves and some areas where you can open it up a bit. Markleeville on hwy 89 to San Mateo is about 3.5 hours without stops.

Any of the routes already suggested to get to hwy 1 from San Mateo will be a fun drive. Since you're arriving Saturday mid-day expect lots of cars and bikes.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

If you want to take some empty and very curvy back roads from Tahoe to Jackson, you can take 89 to 88 to Shake Ridge road. Shake Ridge to Fiddletown road, then Fiddletown road to 49 in Plymouth.

This is one of my favorite drives in the area.

Quick Reply: Route to Parade 2014 via S Lake Tahoe