Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Alternator fan blade blew apart in Calgary

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:00 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I also run my 993 belts on the slightly looser side.

On my '84 I've been running my fan/alt belt pretty loose, I actually need to tighten it up a bit but haven't had any problems with it. No slipping noises and the voltmeter I have installed always shows a proper charge.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 AM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I am back in the saddle again. I got all the new parts in and have been on two drives already. Thanks for the belt tension sensor Steven, that was very nice.

The car runs like a champ. I think I figured out why the fan blew apart. When I put the new fan in the housing it would no spin all the way round freely. It would clip the bottom of the housing where someone had missed placing the housing correctly on the rolled steel pin. The result was a pimple of magnesium at the inside bottom of the housing.

I tried to tap it down but that didnt work out very well as I couldnt hit it hard enough and I got worried that it would crack so I dremeled it smooth. This winter I plan on getting the fan and the housing powder coated.

Thanks for all your help and support, and special thanks to Steven whom I spent about an hour with tonight. His car is truly a master piece. I thought I was pedantic and obsessive. Now I feel fat and lazy.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:09 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by knorrena
His car is truly a master piece. I thought I was pedantic and obsessive. Now I feel fat and lazy.
ROTFL when I read that, I know exactly how you feel.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Did you end up needing to do much disassembly to R&R the crank pulley, or did you manage it in situ?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Karl, Happy to pay it forward!!

Also, thanks for the kind words on the car, I think when you have a passion for something, no amount of work is too much to make it how you want it.

Let the driving begin

Quick Reply: Alternator fan blade blew apart in Calgary