993 Forum 1995-1998

Tiptronic "hiccup"

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 03:31 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told by Klaus at North American Racing Works in Reseda, CA. that lifting slightly during upshifts puts less stress on the trans and that I should, so thats why I do it.

I never ride in "D" because it really lugs the engine. And cruising around in 4th gear at 30 miles an hour cannot be good for the health of the engine.

Like Flopbuster, I rarely downshift into a stop. I'll pop it into 1st after fully stopped in prep for the green.

Matching revs on downshifts takes some practice and really knowing the timing of the shift process of the trans. And the timing differs using the stick vs. the wheel switches. I can do it with both but tend to do it more often with the stick. Unlike Flopster, I find the wheel switches better for canyons as I like having both hands on the wheel pushing it through the twisties. It is hard using the wheel switches while downshifting into first in order to be able to power out of a tight hairpins (like the ones between the Rock Store and Kanan - reference for the So Cal listers). So in the end it just depends...

The technique I use is as follows: Say you are approaching an intersection and you have the green light and you are making a right turn. You are approaching at 45 in 3rd and you want to downshift into 2nd. As I pull back the stick - and reach the stop point in the stick - I tap the gas so that while the trans is momentarily in what feels like "neutral" increases the revs to about where they will be when the trans shifts to 2nd.

Tonight I was heading South on PCH in Malibu - I was doing 50ish in 3rd and needed to make a quick pass. I pulled back on the stick, had time for two quick taps on the gas to get the revs up so that the down shift into 2nd resulted in smooth acceleration through the top of the power band. Really cool!

I'm looking forward to others "tips for Tips."

Perhaps this will qualify me for Tip Expert=TipSpert on the HWFMRT?
Old 08-01-2003, 05:16 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

fbfisher

Couple of points...firstly, I have booked mine in for ATF change next week. Seems like a good idea! Secondly, I took mine out last night just to practice the downshifting...it works! Different to heel & toe in a manual car, as the revs rise more slowly, so I find that it's not so much of a 'blip' and more of a 'prod' of the accelerator to adjust the revs. I'm not getting it right every time, but with practice....

My manual also says that in 'D', the 'box will downshift if the accelerator is planted quickly (even if not through the kickdown switch). It senses that you have a sudden need for a downshift...takes some practice too, but it works and it is smoother than a kickdown shift.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:50 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob

An ATF change is a really easy DIY - or are you having the filter & gasket change too?? EIther way, a good jack & jack stands and you can do it yourself. Machine mart sell a 500 cc hand oil pump - the plastic pipe slps right onto the 'quick fit' oil filler (ie you don't need a quick fit attachment), you could do a change in less than 1 hour.

Re tip driving tecniques:

If you don't want to lug engine around town in auto mode, drive in '3'. You get 1st gear for take offs and generally you are more often than not in the right gear for the job. Ecobb, this means you won't need to manually put it into 1st for take offs.

Flopbuster, I am surprised that you get the torque converter lock up under full throttle - I don't think you should, as under really heavy accel, the torque converter is already locked up.

FB

I cannot believe that being off the gas for upshifts will make any difference to tip gearbox life - these boxes are VERY VERY robust and are designed for full throttle upshifts AFAIK.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:24 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JohnF

Yes, I've found that "cruising" in 3rd is a lazy way to better match my driving style. Seems unright (and hard on the torque converter?) to frequently startup in 2nd.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Claude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnfm: Thanks for the clarification on ATF level and how to get a visual on it. Mine is probably at the right level but seeing is believing.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:09 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rob, enjoy the practice sessions, this morning I realized that on the freeway when speeds start to slow down but the traffic is still flowing, third starts to sag down to 2200-2500 a nice "prod" of the gas while downshifting gets the revs back up to where they seem happiest with no braking effect.

I am so used to shifting that "D" or "3" just does not work for me. Not the same driving experience. Just can't seem to pass up on all that fun.

Johnfm: Klaus is a pretty well respected mechanic and racer here in the Los Angeles area (others can chime in here who know him). I'll take his years of experience over mine. And besides, lifting on the upshift simulates the action, motion, sounds and feel of driving a manual while still having a really nice long place to stretch out my 34-36" inseam left leg.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:41 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, haven't checked this thread since I first posted a couple of days ago, nice to see all we Tipsters posting!

fb, you've got me curious to try your "lifting off" technique on upshifts; right now I do precisely the opposite. I either accelerate strongly while upshifting, (enjoying the fact that the trans is grabbing the next gear faster than I could with a clutch and stick!) or, if I smoothly dip into the throttle with light to moderate pedal pressure while shifting, I find the shift is so smooth it is nearly imperceptible--I can't imagine anything being kinder to the trans, as it feels seamless.

I got both of these techniques during a DE session by BMW North America upon introduction of the Steptronic trans for Bimmers several years ago, so they may or not make the most sense for our Tip cars.

Anyway, keep the "tips" coming! ;-)

PS: Two stray thoughts. First, for anybody not shifting your tip trans manually at all times, you don't know what you are missing! I say don't let it sit in "D" unless you have to ;-)! Second, what the heck was Porsche thinking removing the tip function from the gearshift on the newer cars? There are plenty of times when I don't/can't use those steering wheel mounted buttons....
Old 08-02-2003, 12:15 PM
ecobb993
Racer

How about another reason to not practice startup in 2nd:

"Dreaded Carbon Buildup"
Old 08-03-2003, 03:40 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

And while we are asking Porsche questions, why did they only give us 4 forward gears - 6 would be sooooo much better. I'd really like to know what their thinging was on this one.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:00 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4 speeds - the only drwback of the tiptronic. 1st gear is just about 2nd gear in the manual and the 'gaps' between ratios is just too big!
Old 08-03-2003, 05:32 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by johnfm
An ATF change is a really easy DIY - or are you having the filter & gasket change too??
Sounds like one to try myself - wouldn't even have known where to start without your help. Thanks
Old 08-07-2003, 09:21 PM
ecobb993
Racer

snick - pop, downshifts are a blast in the tip.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts
Default OT: Portable Heater for Garage, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TGDGLU

Bought a couple of these and highly recommend.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic "hiccup"