HELP!! Sat Nav Head Unit for a 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:55 PM
ALIF786
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Sat Nav Head Unit for a 993

Hi,

I have a 993 C2S and I want to replace the head unit (Sony item that came with the car) for a more modern one with Sat Nav and bluetooth to deal with an iPhone 5.

So I know about the Porsche Classic item (rubbish nav function), I don't want to buy and old Becker (years old tech and no good with an iPhone).

I know some had fitted flip out screens (Kenwood) but I'm not going to be cutting my dash board.

SO... anyone know of a recent head unit that does the job (been searching with no luck) or a flip out screen single din solution that can come out and not hit the top of the dash?

I was also thinking of a roof mounted screen - anyone done this?

I know its a 'classsic' car but I use it every day in London traffic and I don't see why we cant embrace modern tech in a new car!!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:07 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Any "new" radio you buy will be obsolete in a matter of months. And single DIN nav units are not that great to begin with. The screen is too small.

Here's a suggestion: CR/CDR-220 + Tranzit Blu HF + Genius Maps/Google Maps/Waze for the iPhone.

Keeps OEM apprearance and it gives you great functionality.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:32 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Nav units are obsolete every couple of years. Use your phone in a good mount, and a Bluetooth radio to hear directions through your speakers.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a Bluetooth enabled head unit and then the turn-by-turn navigation on your phone is pumped through the stereo. Works great.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for using your phone.

I highly recommend the 993 Kuda mount. I have the original techart mount color matched to my interior but the exact same idea. Its a bit tall but offers the best, unobtrusive view of your phone. easy to touch if you have your hand on the shifter and doesn't cover up anything you might want to look at or use. Plus it goes delightfully well with the dated 90s interior of your 993!

And one of these poking out of it, glued on the back side, holds my phone perfectly, set it on top, pull it off. If you are really clever you can set an NFC tag on the surface so whenever you set your phone on it you can program it to perform certain actions such as turn off wifi, turn on bluetooth, and start pandora.

If you want bluetooth through your stereo and you have the stock cassette you can use my CR-210 Aux in DIY and connect it to a bluetooth receiver hidden behind the dash.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Sat Nav Head Unit for a 993