Sponsored by:

Brake fade after initial stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:38 PM
jlenze
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fade after initial stop

The brake is hard at first but as you are stopping it fades very far down and I let off and it goes back to the top and then fades again. The dealer thinks its the ABS pump for $3500.00 plus labor but he has some question in his voice. What does the list feel

TIA Jack
Old 03-11-2014, 02:53 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Sounds like they simply need to be bled.... but unless something was done to introduce air in the lines, that would not be the case...
When did this start happening? anything done prior?
Anything that would have caused the brakes to overheat? stuck caliper? track day?

If none of the above, I would think master cylinder. Although clogged/failed ABS pump is typical in cars that have gone years without a brake system flush, I just done see how it would cause the symptom you describe.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 03-11-2014, 02:54 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Year etc of you car will be helpful. Did the dealer have a look at the car or is he making an assumption based on your experience?

The C2's have a simplified brake system, over the Turbo/C4/C4s systems.

if it is a Turbo/C4/C4s these have number of additional areas that need be checked. The pump and pressure accumulator are parts that need to be assessed. A full and proper brake bleed including bleeding the pressure accumulator should also be done to ensure the system is operating correctly.

A friend recently replaced his pressure accumulator and he said the difference in feel was night and day from previous.

If it is a C2, did you have a calliper off recently (or Clutch) that would have drained the system past the ABS pump? Do you have a leaking calliper anywhere?

Quick Reply: Brake fade after initial stop