993 Forum 1995-1998

993 C2S question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:48 PM
hennabav
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 C2S question

Hey Guys, I am kind of new here but have been pondering in entering the market for a 993 C2S...a dream car of mine. I know of a clean well maintained one-owner C2S in Vesuvius Purple but has Tiptronic transmission with around 40k miles. Do you guys think the Tiptronic is a deal breaker for many buyers? I realize many, including myself, prefer a manual transmission but what type of price discount with a Tiptronic transmission be? He might consider selling but what is a fair price for something like this? Thanks and looking forward to all your opinions.

Best,
Jon
Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I was told when I purchased my car that a discount of $5000 to $10,000 depending on miles and condition of course.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 PM
bjornebo
Instructor

You should get what you really want. If you want a manual transmission you won't be happy with a tip, regardless of what kind of a deal you can get.

Just my $0.02
Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

5-10k less than manual. Most (not all) buyers of 993s will not consider tip. If you don't mind, you can get pretty good deal, but to me it defeats the purpose of the car.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 745 Likes on 484 Posts

I agree with the others...as a comp, I had a deal on a '98 C2S in the fall with a tip and 24,000 miles for $51K (seller ended up a little flaky so I passed)...I was considering a tip for the wife
Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 AM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bjornebo
You should get what you really want. If you want a manual transmission you won't be happy with a tip, regardless of what kind of a deal you can get.

Just my $0.02
My $0.02 as well.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

I agree with everyone else , get what you really like or want ,owning one of each I do have to say that both are fun in their own way and Vesuvius is the cheez , are you talking about a c2s with the turbo S kit and with the interior wood package ?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
hennabav
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Opo
I agree with everyone else , get what you really like or want ,owning one of each I do have to say that both are fun in their own way and Vesuvius is the cheez , are you talking about a c2s with the turbo S kit and with the interior wood package ?
No, it's just a C2S without any aerokit package...just the regular flip spoiler, hence it has the contrasting colors on the air vent.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by hennabav
No, it's just a C2S without any aerokit package...just the regular flip spoiler, hence it has the contrasting colors on the air vent.
Nice! Yes the split grill, door handles and mirrors should be steel gray , good luck
Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by hennabav
Hey Guys, I am kind of new here but have been pondering in entering the market for a 993 C2S...a dream car of mine. I know of a clean well maintained one-owner C2S in Vesuvius Purple but has Tiptronic transmission with around 40k miles. Do you guys think the Tiptronic is a deal breaker for many buyers? I realize many, including myself, prefer a manual transmission but what type of price discount with a Tiptronic transmission be? He might consider selling but what is a fair price for something like this? Thanks and looking forward to all your opinions.

Best,
Jon
Jon,

I have a tip and enjoy my car tremendously. Other than having 1 less gear, nothing is amiss. It sounds and drives the same. There are many on this board who would go out of their way to bash tips but that's just them. And tip-avoidance is mostly a North American thing.

This may sound far-fetched for now but as the currrent owners age, and knees start giving out, the demand for tiptronics will go up.

I started looking for a manual too but with the discount on tips, it's hard to pass up.

Buy the one you'll be happy with within your budget. If you're worry about resale, first, you're buying it cheaper to begin with and second, may I be so blunt as to suggest you're starting this journey with the wrong motive?

Enjoy the hunt, it's the best part.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
I have a tip and enjoy my car tremendously. Other than having 1 less gear, nothing is amiss. It sounds and drives the same. There are many on this board who would go out of their way to bash tips but that's just them. And tip-avoidance is mostly a North American thing.

This may sound far-fetched for now but as the currrent owners age, and knees start giving out, the demand for tiptronics will go up.

I started looking for a manual too but with the discount on tips, it's hard to pass up.

Buy the one you'll be happy with within your budget. If you're worry about resale, first, you're buying it cheaper to begin with and second, may I be so blunt as to suggest you're starting this journey with the wrong motive?

Enjoy the hunt, it's the best part.
I have a manual gearbox, and would never even consider anything else...but I do agree with this. I suggest you give great consideration to the words of those who actually OWN the tips.
Originally Posted by mdude
I would avoid this urge...the money you save by getting something you "really don't want"...seems smaller as the years pass...just my opinion.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Halcyon
Racer

Versuvius! I love that color! If only I could find one of that color around here.

But yeah, being completely biased here since I drive a tip. Honestly, for people living in Los Angeles that would like to enjoy the 993 daily instead of just the weekends, it is actually better to drive a tip with all the traffic around here so I don't necessarily see tip as any less valuable when it is more practical.

So I guess whether if you could get a discount would actually be affected by the geographic region where you are in.

Another point I don't know if it is valid but speaking on behalf of my generation (born after 90s) , most of us will be entering the car market soon, and a lot of us didn't grow up with a chance to learn how to drive manuals, so instead of jumping to manual cold, a tip is actually a great option for us to begin enjoying these older nicer cars instead of going over to the dealership and buying a dime a dozen new car. So if that's the demographic for the future market, maybe Tip might even be more desirable someday. Not sure if that's a valid theory but just a thought.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 PM
ntmatter
Advanced

I have a Tip - my recommendation would be to drive one of each type and make a choice. The Tip gives you some flexibility - my wife can't drive a stick, for instance, and there are occasions when it's nice that she can drive the "toy". Also, Porsche in general makes pretty good automatic transmissions.

I can understand a bit of a discount for a Tip in price, but probably not $5K and certainly not $10K for an equivalent car. As far as resale goes, it'd be a matter of "buy it cheaper, sell it cheaper" - I don't think there's any depreciation left in these cars barring the next big stock market crash.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:27 PM
hennabav
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys for your very honest opinions...very much value them! Some very valid points and seems like I may need to do some more soul searching on the transmission type. I am leaning more towards manual though the more I think about it. It will be a fun car for me so I wouldn't mind shifting at all....its the fun of it!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, it would be a deal breaker unless I was no longer able to drive a manual transmission car. That may happen someday but for now I would not buy one.

Aside from that, you will pay less and sell for less, so there is no financial loss or gain as far as I can see.

Quick Reply: 993 C2S question